Building walk in shed style coop

BiggDeal

Chirping
Aug 21, 2023
South NJ
The coop foot print is 4x8 slanted metal roof style but we are putting nesting boxes in coop with a lift up outside door to get eggs …
Roosting area will be on left side of nesting boxes also with lift up door with slide out poop tray and will do whole floor of vinyl where we will put pine shavings on for easy clean up
We have walk in door on same wall but off set toward end and coop door on other side for chicken access both will be located in the run area which will be like 8x8 8x10 maybe bigger and we will keep a outdoor cabinet with metal trash cans to keep food in
We are trying to decide if we should put food hanging inside and if this is enough space or outside? We are also trying to decide if hanging or PVC is best option and we run pvc in coop or outside with a full access outside run area so it’s easy to fill
Any tips … pros …cons. Ideas to make it as efficient and keep rodents mice away the most? And easy to clean?
Also anyone have ideas on heating if it gets really cold in winter ? I’m located in NJ but by shore so it’s not generally that cold
Also I have 8 chickens is size good for them 4 are larger chickens 2 regular and 2 silkies

Coop is sufficient for 8 birds if they all get along already. Although you said it's walk in will it be directly on the ground? What will be the flooring - ground or a wood floor or something else?

You mention the coop will be inside the run, I think? 8x10 is a minimum size for your 8 birds, but if the coop is ground level and inside the run you'll need to expand the run for sure. If at all possible I would expand the run space anyhow, as more space is always better for peace in the flock.

Feeder location really is up to you, it can work either way depending on how you manage it. I have food both inside and out. Depending on type of PVC feeder it may not work well outside, as moisture accumulation (leading to mold) can be an issue with PVC feeders. If rodents are an issue then properly pest proofing the entire set up (apron at least 18-24", any gaps larger than 1/2" covered with wire mesh) and minimizing food availability (i.e. sealing it away at night) should help prevent any issues.

What is "really cold?" As a general rule no provisions have to be made for winter weather unless you get sustained periods of below freezing temperatures or your set up does not provide enough dry, draft free places for birds to shelter in as needed.

Coop is sufficient for 8 birds if they all get along already. Although you said it's walk in will it be directly on the ground? What will be the flooring - ground or a wood floor or something else?

You mention the coop will be inside the run, I think? 8x10 is a minimum size for your 8 birds, but if the coop is ground level and inside the run you'll need to expand the run for sure. If at all possible I would expand the run space anyhow, as more space is always better for peace in the flock.

Feeder location really is up to you, it can work either way depending on how you manage it. I have food both inside and out. Depending on type of PVC feeder it may not work well outside, as moisture accumulation (leading to mold) can be an issue with PVC feeders. If rodents are an issue then properly pest proofing the entire set up (apron at least 18-24", any gaps larger than 1/2" covered with wire mesh) and minimizing food availability (i.e. sealing it away at night) should help prevent any issues.

What is "really cold?" As a general rule no provisions have to be made for winter weather unless you get sustained periods of below freezing temperatures or your set up does not provide enough dry, draft free places for birds to shelter in as needed.

Oops sorry should have mentioned coop is 24 inches off ground had a solid wood base with 6 x 6 treated legs buried in concrete in ground! The run is attached to the coop not in it really it’s at the end so the whole run area will be 8x 10 and plus the area under the coop also so we can put the dust bath under it with access door to pull it out to fill or add if needed coop will also have two windows for ventilation … we can make the run bigger too if need be. All the chickens are a lil over 2 weeks old( the silkies are actually 7 days older then other 6 but they are same size since other chicks are bigger type , right now all get along ok as far as I see they have been together since birth basically Cold we get here is generally in 30-40s but we may have an occasional 10-20 for several days a week or have low wind chills. We are insulating the coop to help with summers heat and winters cold and I do have a heating plate I could put in if cold if that is enough to warm it up a bit? I’m guessing in the coop it would be warmer since it will be insulated and enclosed good

Good to know the space under the coop can be used and accessed by you as well. If run can be expanded I would still do that, as just because the birds are getting along right now, or in a month from now, or even in a year, does not mean that there won't be pecking order or bullying issues down the line. Easier to have the space available and avoid any problems before they start, than to have to expand all of a sudden because birds are feather picking for example.

Two windows for ventilation is likely not enough, unless they're huge. You really want to have ventilation up high, just under the roof if possible, enough that can still provide at least 1 sq ft per bird even in winter. Windows would be good as additional summer ventilation in that case. How hot does it get in summer?

Your cold temps are not cold enough to be concerning and no additional heat should be needed. Chickens deal better with cold than heat, and wind chill is not a factor inside the coop or even the run if you climate proof it (I don't, but I have rain shelters in the run that work as wind breaks as well). If insulation helps with heat in summer that'd be more a reason for it than to protect them from cold in winter, but do keep in mind that insulation attracts rodents because they like to build nests in it, so excluding rodents will be all the more important.

Chickens handle temps down to 30-40 easy. It's the heat that's hard on them. Remember they are wearing down parka's. The water may freeze on really cold days. Some folks on here use electric dog bowls to help that.
I have 2 feeders here, but I'm not really humid like you. 1 feeder is 3" PVC and other is the 5 gallon bucket with 45 degree PVC type placed on paver so not ground level.
The sample of 5 gallon bucket feeder shown below to clear any confusion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902-191552.png
    Screenshot_20230902-191552.png
    487.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
You might consider a drop down side instead of a lift up top to access the nests. There are no disadvantages and it is easier to weather-proof because the roof of it can cover the hinge.

Is any of it build yet? How much?

Good to know the space under the coop can be used and accessed by you as well. If run can be expanded I would still do that, as just because the birds are getting along right now, or in a month from now, or even in a year, does not mean that there won't be pecking order or bullying issues down the line. Easier to have the space available and avoid any problems before they start, than to have to expand all of a sudden because birds are feather picking for example.

Two windows for ventilation is likely not enough, unless they're huge. You really want to have ventilation up high, just under the roof if possible, enough that can still provide at least 1 sq ft per bird even in winter. Windows would be good as additional summer ventilation in that case. How hot does it get in summer?

Your cold temps are not cold enough to be concerning and no additional heat should be needed. Chickens deal better with cold than heat, and wind chill is not a factor inside the coop or even the run if you climate proof it (I don't, but I have rain shelters in the run that work as wind breaks as well). If insulation helps with heat in summer that'd be more a reason for it than to protect them from cold in winter, but do keep in mind that insulation attracts rodents because they like to build nests in it, so excluding rodents will be all the more important.
We have one longer window that is high near top of roof ( like a transom window ) above nesting area. One 18x 18 on side. We can add another over on other wall or above where the chicken door is The insulation is styrofoam and we are doing a vapor barrier to make sure no moisture and it will be between the studs and plywood walls On the run portion should we put a clear roof over like half of it and on the sides on part to keep that area dry in case it rains? Oh my husband said the run is 8x by 12-14 ft he is doing he also as they get bigger is wanting to add a lil tunnel run that goes around the garden and then back in to run area ? He is burying the hard wire ( hard whatever it is not regular chicken wire) 😂 and it’s getting buried under the ground a foot or two and we have a whole trailer of large rocks you use for landscaping going around the whole perimeter as well. We back to wood on part of our yard and get deer sometime in between neighbors yard and ours. We have not had coyote in our exact neighborhood but in the one across the road they have and more sittings lately in area so to be sure I want to make sure they are protected. We do have dogs that make enough noise if there is anything in yard and we have security cameras
My biggest concern is we do get opossums here and there … we do get ticks ( which I’m told the chickens will eat) we do have neighbors cats roaming around and a groundhog that has tried to dig under our neighbors coop and turtles and snakes on occasion We have hawks / owls and turkey buzzards so coop will have roof over run as well. Deer bet or whatever so nothing can swoop and get the chickens

You might consider a drop down side instead of a lift up top to access the nests. There are no disadvantages and it is easier to weather-proof because the roof of it can cover the hinge.

Is any of it build yet? How much?
Yes exactly what we are doing cause we were told sometimes the others leak so we are and extending roof over that area as well!
Yes we have the base which is 6 x 6 posts buried in ground with concrete and the floor area with frame and plywood. They built some framing this morning for walls and are getting supplies right now at store to get the sides and roof stuff

Chickens handle temps down to 30-40 easy. It's the heat that's hard on them. Remember they are wearing down parka's. The water may freeze on really cold days. Some folks on here use electric dog bowls to help that.
I have 2 feeders here, but I'm not really humid like you. 1 feeder is 3" PVC and other is the 5 gallon bucket with 45 degree PVC type placed on paver so not ground level.
The sample of 5 gallon bucket feeder shown below to clear any confusion.
This is what we are trying to decide. Do the de-icers work? And how much condensation do you get with pvc? I like the pvc idea but I don’t want to get moldy food issues? But we were going to use the 5 gallon bucket with cups or feeder things in it and wouldn’t that get it as well?

We can add another over on other wall or above where the chicken door is
More vents are always better. I have 5 windows on my 6x10 coop plus a ridge vent, gable vent, 2 floor vents and undereave vents.
On the run portion should we put a clear roof over like half of it and on the sides on part to keep that area dry in case it rains?
I'm personally not as big of a fan of clear roofs simply because it doesn't hold up as well as metal, and if you don't have ample shade in the area it'll get hotter underneath, but if you have a shaded run location and snow load isn't a big concern no reason it couldn't work.

I've never attempted to climate protect my run but that's something you should be able to find examples of if you search the site for "climate protecting run" or "winter protecting run," things like that.
Oh my husband said the run is 8x by 12-14 ft he is doing he also as they get bigger is wanting to add a lil tunnel run that goes around the garden and then back in to run area ?
8x12 or 8x14 would be nice - the chickens will appreciate the extra space, and the chunnel should give them something extra to do as well.
we have a whole trailer of large rocks you use for landscaping going around the whole perimeter as well.
How large are the rocks? Like large gravel, or baseball sized, or actual boulders?

Back
Top Bottom