Building walk in shed style coop

You didn't say what kind of chickens you have or are going to get. Rhode island reds, barred rock and other cold hardy breeds wouldn't need insulation or heating. Just a place they can have protection from wind and wet.

This is the photo of what we are building with a few modifications
More vents are always better. I have 5 windows on my 6x10 coop plus a ridge vent, gable vent, 2 floor vents and undereave vents.

I'm personally not as big of a fan of clear roofs simply because it doesn't hold up as well as metal, and if you don't have ample shade in the area it'll get hotter underneath, but if you have a shaded run location and snow load isn't a big concern no reason it couldn't work.

I've never attempted to climate protect my run but that's something you should be able to find examples of if you search the site for "climate protecting run" or "winter protecting run," things like that.

8x12 or 8x14 would be nice - the chickens will appreciate the extra space, and the chunnel should give them something extra to do as well.

How large are the rocks? Like large gravel, or baseball sized, or actual boulders?
More vents are always better. I have 5 windows on my 6x10 coop plus a ridge vent, gable vent, 2 floor vents and undereave vents.

I'm personally not as big of a fan of clear roofs simply because it doesn't hold up as well as metal, and if you don't have ample shade in the area it'll get hotter underneath, but if you have a shaded run location and snow load isn't a big concern no reason it couldn't work.

I've never attempted to climate protect my run but that's something you should be able to find examples of if you search the site for "climate protecting run" or "winter protecting run," things like that.

8x12 or 8x14 would be nice - the chickens will appreciate the extra space, and the chunnel should give them something extra to do as well.

How large are the rocks? Like large gravel, or baseball sized, or actual boulders?
Bigger then baseball smaller then boulder like size of a soccer ball some a lil smaller some larger Only part of roof that would be clear ( and I’m not sure we are doing clear or not ) would be a small section over run area only to let light throw but not rain so if it’s raining they have a dry area if they want it They will also have space under floor since it’s 24 inches off ground
Here are some photos you can see if what’s done so far

Attachments

• IMG_4443.jpeg
    IMG_4443.jpeg
    925.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4445.jpeg
    IMG_4445.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4444.jpeg
    IMG_4444.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4443.jpeg
    IMG_4443.jpeg
    925.1 KB · Views: 10
You didn't say what kind of chickens you have or are going to get. Rhode island reds, barred rock and other cold hardy breeds wouldn't need insulation or heating. Just a place they can have protection from wind and wet.
We have 2 buff Orpingtons ( 2 weeks old right now) all chicks. 2 silver laced wydottes 2 Red Sex links. And 2 Silkies which are a week older but smaller chickens so all same size at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_4445.jpeg
    IMG_4445.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4444.jpeg
    IMG_4444.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 10
Bigger then baseball smaller then boulder like size of a soccer ball some a lil smaller some larger
Was asking about the rock sizes because of the apron, though now I'm trying to remember if having a border around a buried vertical apron would cause the same issues as with a horizontal apron (which would be predators and pest to digging further back from the base of the apron). Anyone know if that could compromise a buried vertical apron?

This is what we are trying to decide. Do the de-icers work? And how much condensation do you get with pvc? I like the pvc idea but I don’t want to get moldy food issues? But we were going to use the 5 gallon bucket with cups or feeder things in it and wouldn’t that get it as well?
I have never had mold be an issue. But we're not bad on humidity here, right now it's 24% can get to 97% tho. That would be a ? for y'all down south.

The roof side is on the wind side?
No but how we are situated we are blocked pretty good from wind It is running same way my home roof is and my green house is opposite direction and we use to loose some panel here and there in Nor’easters but we double secured them and they are corrugated plastic and have been good last couple years now 🤞

I have never had mold be an issue. But we're not bad on humidity here, right now it's 24% can get to 97% tho. That would be a ? for y'all down south.
I’m in North East but not to far from the shore dew points get like 60-70% sometimes in summer… I think summer would be the only issue probably? And as long as not too humid probably should be ok …. Would just check it to be sure I guess and if so go to another feeder system. I want to be able to lock up the feed with caps at night to limit any rodent activity as much as possible. We have cats that roam from neighbors so hopefully that helps too 😂
I was going to store feed in metal cans inside coop or run area but someone said storing in metal cans can get condensation as well?
Any thoughts on this??

I was going to store feed in metal cans inside coop or run area but someone said storing in metal cans can get condensation as well?
Any thoughts on this??
4' is narrow, both for chickens and keeper.
I don't think you have space to store feed in the coop.
Not sure how metal cans would work exposed to the elements,
but I have had no problems with them stored inside my coop shed.

4' is narrow, both for chickens and keeper.
I don't think you have space to store feed in the coop.
Not sure how metal cans would work exposed to the elements,
but I have had no problems with them stored inside my coop shed.
There is a cabinet under nesting box enclosed or will be I should say which the cans can go in and the cans can be in run area which will be protected from rain etc there is a roof. Or we could even build a lil cabinet in there I just want to make sure it’s good. We used the old metal trash can type can to keep animals out We are also storing the bedding supplies under the nesting boxes or supplies we may need and cleaning equipment We figured we can change things around if need be as we go and we figure it will be trial and error until we see what works for us

Back
Top Bottom