Built the floating duck house....(PICS POSTED)

My ducks despise any change whatsoever. Give them time and then they will like it....lol. But in the beginning and yeah sometimes that is months they won't even go near something that is new or been moved unless forced to and then they raise a huge ruckus.

Good job!!!!

Julie
big_smile.png

Thanks so much for the pics and plans!! We have just gotten 2 ducks - peking and khaki - and have a large pond that i have been wondering how to get a pen close to, so that our dog and other critters wont be able to get at them- this is perfect!! i really like the decorative painting too. Now I have to round up the buckets with lids

It just now saw this thread. I must have missed it in May. That house is completely awesome!!! How'd they do in it during the summer?

Sorry haven't kept up with this post in awhile. So here's the update.

The ducks have never so much as thought about getting into that duck house. I have a better chance of walking on the moon than seeing ducks get into that thing. ALL THAT HARD WORK, and I'll probably take it out in the spring.

C'est la vie

336_dscn0807.jpg

Here is my daughter paddling out to my duck house. I use it to provide sanctuary to wild ducks that visit my pond. It offers them safety from the coyotes and raccoons.
336_dscn0677.jpg

I have frequent turtle visitors to the "Do Duck Inn" as well as Mallards and Wood Ducks.
Be patient. They will get used to seeing it there and will eventually use it.

perhaps another entrance might ease your mind of something getting in and eating your poor duckies... If you give them another out, they can at least have another exit if something comes in the front...

My ducks are so clumsy I think they might need the gang plank like on the wild duck house. I would put one on, pull it out into the middle and see if they use it as a resting/basking spot if they get tired of swimming
smile.png

Well, sorry your ducks have not yet appreciated all your hard effort. Maybe in time. I agree though I think they would need a plank to get in it. It would be pretty hard for a bird to "jump" up on the ledge while suspended in water.

I especially love the "camoflauge paint job" you did on it. Really pretty.

Connie

Back
Top Bottom