Bumblefoot Cure

@JanetMarie
Who knows how a chicken picks up Bumblefoot -- could be from a cut on the bottom of the foot, a splinter from a ladder, a little thorn, or holding on too tightly onto the perch at roost? That's why my vet suggested wrapping the perch to cushion it even if the perch was already smooth in case the chicken is irritating the bottom of her feet holding on too tight during roost. Who knows? I just do what I can about what I am able to do and can't do much where the chicken digs or scratches every day. Keeping thorny bushes or prickly weeds out of a chicken's free-range is always helpful. When I work in the yard turning over soil I make sure to pick up any rusty nails, splintered rotted wood, glass or pieces of broken plastic, string, sharp pebbles, etc etc.

During Bumblefoot treatment I choose to keep the chicken indoors/isolated because there's too much mud, debris, dirt, water, to mess up the treatment bandage. With the one foot that has lost the crust I am applying Vitamin E oil capsule to the bottom of the healing skin and using a round makeup pad paper-taped to my Dana's foot. The other foot the crust has not come off yet so that crust is still getting wrapped in the Triple Antibiotic Ointment to keep it moist 24/7. This treatment sounded so bogus to me when I read how owners treated Bumblefoot without surgery but Lo! and Behold! it worked for Dana! Will wonders ever cease? After her 2nd crust comes off I will return to the vet for his final evaluation.

And there is something to the idea that some birds just seem more susceptible to injury or disease beyond our control. As pet owners we don't usually cull these birds but breeders and farmers have no qualms to get rid of these birds in their breeding projects. It's simply not worth their time or effort to deal with sickly birds.

Some pics of our Dominique "Dana" with her paper-taped feet -- there's a round cotton makeup pad under each foot covering the Triple Antibiotic Ointment and then I paper-tape the cotton pad until it is covered by the paper-tape. The 1/2 inch paper-tape is whisper lightweight and fits between chicken toes as I wrap it between her toes and around her ankles. The lightweight paper-tape makes it easier for the chicken to walk fairly normal too. We keep Dana indoors in a 4x4 dog kennel during this treatment and still she manages to step in her feed dish, doggie water bowl, and poop! A daily change of bandages is necessary.

DSCN9257.JPG

DSCN9344.JPG
DSCN9346.JPG
DSCN9347.JPG
DSCN9348.JPG
DSCN9350.JPG
DSCN9351.JPG

I soaked her foot each night for about 15 minutes with Tricideneo and it worked! She still as a "little bump" on the top of her foot by one toe nail,but she is so much better! Now I am dealing with Scaly leg mites on my other hen.UGH! Silkies are wonderful birds,but very fragile.Thank you all for your help with the bumble foot! ♥♥

I soaked her foot each night for about 15 minutes with Tricideneo and it worked! She still as a "little bump" on the top of her foot by one toe nail,but she is so much better! Now I am dealing with Scaly leg mites on my other hen.UGH! Silkies are wonderful birds,but very fragile.Thank you all for your help with the bumble foot! ♥♥

I love hearing everyone's useful or successful experiences with their birds! I love it when an owner has a treatment that works! I love Silkies too but then all my breeds are special to me -- one Silkie we lost early at 6 yrs old to ovarian bleeding tumor and had the vet put her down -- poor baby always had trouble laying eggs all her life! So she was fragile indeed. But our other Silkie is a Partridge at almost 8 yrs old and never had health issues. Her only health issue was dry pox on her face last year which she contracted during her molt time when health resistance is very low for chickens and in less than 4 weeks of treatment w/ophthalmic triple antibiotic ointment she bounced back! This year I tackled molt for all the girls with fortified raw beef mixed with extra vitamin supplements to nourish and strengthen their molting bodies. Still, I got two non-molting Dominiques who contracted Bumblefoot. Hey, we do what we can as owners but stuff still happens! Silkies, Ameraucana, Leghorns, Marans, Breda, Dominiques -- I've had issues with all of them -- just different issues with each.

If it wasn't for this site, I don't know what would do.Each time I have a question about my feathered babies this is the place I turn to.I had a rooster that passed last fall.He was at our best guess between 9-10 years of age.Broke my heart.He was the coolest dude ever.Since then I have tried to have other roosters but they just haven't worked out. So,I have my three girls who I spoil rotten.I worry like a "Mother hen" when they get sick or injured.Do you have any advice that you can give me for a hen that is underweight? I am treating her for scaly leg mites and I am not sure if that has stressed her and caused weight loss. He eats good just seems to be so small.She loves to find a place in the yard where there is sunshine and take a nap.She is also laying eggs.She has always been small,but seems to me she could use some weight.If I could have them in the house like my dogs, I would...but hubby may have an issue with that LOL... Thank you!!

If it wasn't for this site, I don't know what would do.Each time I have a question about my feathered babies this is the place I turn to.I had a rooster that passed last fall.He was at our best guess between 9-10 years of age.Broke my heart.He was the coolest dude ever.Since then I have tried to have other roosters but they just haven't worked out. So,I have my three girls who I spoil rotten.I worry like a "Mother hen" when they get sick or injured.Do you have any advice that you can give me for a hen that is underweight? I am treating her for scaly leg mites and I am not sure if that has stressed her and caused weight loss. He eats good just seems to be so small.She loves to find a place in the yard where there is sunshine and take a nap.She is also laying eggs.She has always been small,but seems to me she could use some weight.If I could have them in the house like my dogs, I would...but hubby may have an issue with that LOL... Thank you!!
Have you ever had her poop checked for worms? Have you looked her over real well for lice and or mites?

While I was soaking her feet tonight,she pooped.No worms.Don't see any lice or mites on her.She takes dust baths often. I will look her over again when I soak her feet tomorrow. Is there any feed that may be higher in calories that I could mix in her feed?

While I was soaking her feet tonight,she pooped.No worms.Don't see any lice or mites on her.She takes dust baths often. I will look her over again when I soak her feet tomorrow. Is there any feed that may be higher in calories that I could mix in her feed?
You won't ever see worms in poop until they are pretty infested with them and there is not room left for them to live inside. I highly recommend collecting for fresh poop and have it checked by a vet. Ask for a fecal float test, not direct smear. Most "regular" dog vet's will do it.

What is the protein percentage of the feed you use now? You could buy a higher protein amount. If she has been eating well but is losing weight get some poop checked.

I have a drake with atypical bumblefoot from a thorn poke no scab or abrasion,open, or thin skin etc.. Pad and 2 toes very swollen and hot. Started soaking with epsom salt 3x a day but still no "spot" or scab. I dont want to lance without having a center point of infection to guide me i did use a thick needle to penetrate deep in his pad no pus. I squeezed and rubbed the pad and can not feel a hard spot. nothing on top of foot either. Should i just continue epsom salt soaks and see if infection pulls closer to surface?

I have a drake with atypical bumblefoot from a thorn poke no scab or abrasion,open, or thin skin etc.. Pad and 2 toes very swollen and hot. Started soaking with epsom salt 3x a day but still no "spot" or scab. I dont want to lance without having a center point of infection to guide me i did use a thick needle to penetrate deep in his pad no pus. I squeezed and rubbed the pad and can not feel a hard spot. nothing on top of foot either. Should i just continue epsom salt soaks and see if infection pulls closer to surface?
Picture please?

Back
Top Bottom