Bumblefoot Cure

I pulled a tiny thorn needle out a couple hours ago. Im sure it is the cause. Im hoping this will suside with epsom soaks and antibiotic cream

Attachments

• 20180917_171327.jpg
    20180917_171327.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180917_171330.jpg
    20180917_171330.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180917_171333.jpg
    20180917_171333.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Message_1537223419340.jpg
    Message_1537223419340.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 16
I pulled a tiny thorn needle out a couple hours ago. Im sure it is the cause. Im hoping this will suside with epsom soaks and antibiotic cream
That is probably what was causing it. It doesnt look bad at all. Continue to soak for a few days and he should be good to go.

It took two weeks to get this out. I used the drawing salve, then changed to Neosporin, because the drawing salve was smelly. I changed the bandage every few days. Yesterday when changing the bandage, the scab was loose enough that it didn't take much to pull it all out!

I put Neosporin on/in the hole and wrapped up. Will change bandage every day until healed. Now will work on the other foot, which has a scab but not swollen.

DSCN5195.JPG

Followup on my Dominique "Dana" who had Bumblefoot (both foot pads):

If you read my earlier posts I used Triple Antibiotic Ointment covered with a round cotton makeup pad and paper-taped the pad to the bottoms of both her feet. It's been 5 weeks of doing this everyday and the one Bumblefoot crust came off after a short few days but the other crust on the other foot was stubborn. I took her to the vet who told me to continue the same treatment and did not prescribe antibiotic at the first visit. 5 weeks later Dana's last crust would not come off and I rescheduled another vet visit. He said there was swelling, so he dug out the last little stubborn crust (it bled), he washed the wound with Bentadine (?spelling), then generously applied an antibiotic cream to the wound, covered with a cotton pad, taped up the foot securely (said to leave it on for 48 hours) and finally prescribed Clindomycin (antibiotic) for 7 days (1 ml 2x daily). He didn't want to prescribe antibiotic on our first visit because there was no swelling and she was still laying eggs but this last visit he finally prescribed Clindomycin. My regular breeder said she found surgery rarely works without using an antibiotic too, and with my vet's assessment, we finally are giving an antibiotic since Bumblefoot is a type of staph infection. Bumblefoot untreated can eventually kill a bird and nothing to be taken lightly IMO.

So, my conclusion is that if the Bumblefoot is caught early enough it probably will work to use the non-surgery procedures but if the crusts are stubborn you more than likely would need to do surgery to get a stubborn crust out or if there is swelling plus use antibiotics. What we don't do for our babies, eh?

After getting the plug out of my bird's foot, it's still swollen and is growing a new scab on the bottom. I will either do the whole thing over again once the scab grows thicker, or take her to the vet.

She is so good when I work on her.

After getting the plug out of my bird's foot, it's still swollen and is growing a new scab on the bottom. I will either do the whole thing over again once the scab grows thicker, or take her to the vet.

She is so good when I work on her.

As my poultry breeder suggested to me, surgery or a Bumblefoot plug removed is not enough -- Bumblefoot is a staph infection. She said she often finds surgery alone doesn't work and backs up her treatments with Clindomycin or other appropriate antibiotic from a vet. I had success removing my Dana's first plug on one foot but the plug on the second foot was stubborn and 5 weeks later was not coming out and swelling was developing. I finally relented and went back to the vet for a followup checkup and he skillfully removed the small remaining stubborn plug with a spoon-shaped instrument (not a straight scalpel) then he washed the bleeding wound with Bentadine, applied a generous amount of antibiotic cream to the wound, covered it with a cotton pad, and then taped up her foot to secure the pad with 1-inch water-proof tape and told me to leave it on for 48 hours before re-bandaging again with Triple Antibiotic Ointment. He prescribed Clindomycin 1ml 2x daily for 7 days. I truly tried to avoid surgery or using internal antibiotics but in the end did was best to treat my girl. Now, I may possibly have another hen developing symptoms so looks like I'll be going through this again -- sigh!!!!

Back
Top Bottom