Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Quote:
From what I understand it's a staph infection that enters the foot pad via any injury or open spot. Since they spend so much time on their feet and jumping on and off roosts and digging, scratching and foraging they are bound to get some sort of spot for infection to enter and take root.

I've known several people that have had similar staph infections, including myself. I was living in a foreign country where the water supply was not up to par so I believe that's how I got it. It starts out that the area feels tender, much like a pimple . . . it's actually really just like a giant pimple. There is a hard area that is surrounded by redness (infection) so it's sore. As it grows under the skin getting larger and more tender a scab develops on the surface. You just want it to pop BUT the infection has hardened under the surface of the skin blocking the pore and it can't just ooze out. I put a hot compress on the site, held the hard part between my fingers and cut the scab open. A lot of pus oozed out but I could still feel something in there. I used tweezers to find the tip of the "kernel" and had to pull SUPER hard. It came out and looked just like the pictures on this thread. It left a hole too. It hurt, but it didn't hurt as much as the tenderness caused by it. I still have a little scar.

I'm sure it hurts the chicken, but the immediate relief when the pressure is removed is worth it. I feel bad that they get these on their feet. It makes sense though that that's where bacteria would be able to enter into their system.

AHHHHH!
hit.gif
My 2 polish have bumblefoot, probably from the mud outside (doing a larger expansion very soon) It's VERY large, but is covered in sawdust, so it may be smaller. I'm so scared! My dad and I are going to do it after the 4-H Fair, where I noticed it today....I'll try getting some pics.
sickbyc.gif
Is there anyway to get rid of it without the cutting and stuff? For now, I'm just keeping it nice and moist during the fair. Still scared, just have to do it. What really annoys me is that the person that inspected her didn't notice it.
somad.gif
I can kind of rub off some of the shavings on the top, so I guess that's good.... I'll keep you updated.
fl.gif

Perfect timing! I stopped in this morning specifically to find this info! One of my BA's has both feet affected. She doesn't act like it's causing her any grief but maybe she just has my high pain tolerance! I sure hope so because the process to fix her feet looks like it should REALLY hurt!
ep.gif

Once I have her wrapped up in the towel will someone need to hold her so she won't fight? Or can this be a one person operation? I'll be sure to take pictures.

ETA: Can I expect her to leave the bandage alone or will she pick at it and maybe tear it off?

Last edited:
If the bird has swelling either on the pad or between the toes or is limping, I would NOT waste time with trying alternative treatments like fish meds and sugar soaks that have not been proven to work in advaced cases. This is an infection that can spread and the "bumble" is a hard core/kernel that cannot be dissolved or removed by syringe and the abcess is cheesy/rubbery stuff that has to be dug out. Here's link from someone who tried one of the alternative methods (sugar/iodine soak) and finally had to lance it open - take a look at that huge plug - no way, no how any "soak" is going to make that thing go away.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=382306&p=1

I also caution against picking up every bird in your flock and examining their feet and slicing them open if you see the tiniest black speck on the bottom. You'll know if a bird has it - they'll start limping or the foot will swell or a marble size swelling comes up between the toes. Then it's time to perform the little surgery in my thread.

It really doesn't seem to be that painful for them because I've done it many times, alone, with no one holding the bird. Simply wrap it in a towel, completely covering the head, work in a quiet environment, and the bird just seems to go to sleep. When I'm really having to cut/dig/mash I will work with my elbow slightly resting over the bird just in case it starts to flinch but that's about all the "holding" that's required.

Good luck to all those who have to do this. I will say that I personally do not give antibiotics, do not clean/wash it after the initial procedure, and I only change the bandage a couple of days later if it really needs it. I believe the half hour or longer that the foot and the open wound spends in the high salt/warm water bath either kills or certainly takes care of the problem. I've never had a reoccurence and sometimes I never found a "bumble". I find that after about three days of keeping the foot wrapped and dry that the bottom of the foot has a fresh covering and is closed up and I take the bandage off and let it heal the rest of the way uncovered. I'm thinking that those who wash and soak and poke around every day are preventing it from beginning to heal and I find that if left alone after surgery it will begin to heal almost immediately.

Again, all of this is just my personal experience. Fortunately I haven't had any more cases of bumblefoot in my flock since I first posted this thread and I have hundreds of birds so I'm not sure what causes it or when I will have to treat for it again but when/if I do, I'll be sure and post pictures.

I'm going to have my dad try it on one of the leghorns (I don't like them) and if it works then we'll start on the 2 polish.

Thank you so much for this picture play by play. I had to open one on my girls today because she has been so lame. The other one on her opposite foot popped on it's own, but this one wouldn't go away. Your page helped a lot!

Back
Top Bottom