Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Some have been asking 'what causes bumblefoot' and here is my $0.02:

Using unsuitable roosting materials/perches (e.g. if the edges are too sharp, or the birds walk on wire frequently, etc.) Be sure that you round the edges of your 2x4s when you build your perches - avoid using plastic perches and try to vary the diameter/size/texture of your perches.

Another cause can be linked to Vitamin A deficiency. This usually only happens when birds are not fed commerially-prepared rations. You can easily supplement vitamin A-rich foods as treats such as dark green, leafy vegetables and orange-colored fruits and vegetables.

If you notice that your bird's foot has a swollen area - but no eschar (black spot denoting lack of blood supply) you can try an application of hemorrhoidal cream to shrink the swelling. It doesn't always work - but may help if done early enough.

Hope that helps!

Thanks - those reasons may be the causes of some bumblefoot, but there are other ways also.

Our perches are wooden & smooth. Our chickens eat Purina layena (accessible 24/7) and also free-range for greens and get fresh treats from us. Many of them still got bumblefoot this past summer.

I've heard that bumblefoot is caused by a cut or bruise on the foot, which allows staph bacteria to enter the foot and cause the infection.

We discovered one of our bush/tree was dropping dried stickers and suspect that may be our main problem. It took me awhile to notice the sharp stickers since we hardly ever go out barefoot anymore (since our chickens do some freeranging). I finally stepped on one and had a lightbulb go off. We also lowered our roosts, just in case they were too high and causing bruising. A large part of our yard is covered with landscaping rocks and that's another possiblity. We took out the tree - hopefully that was the main culprit.

Last edited:
Quote:
clap.gif
YES!! Definitely one of the causes - I didn't mean to omit it from my post - I thought I'd seen someone else mention it earlier.

What a great tutorial! My girls are only 2 months old- so I havent had to deal with any emergencies yet. QUICK- knock on wood!!! But I like reading this section to educate myself ahead of time. The pics and step by step instructions you have provided are wonderful. Thankyou!
thumbsup.gif

I followed all the instructions to the letter. Now it looks like she's getting more bumbles between her toes. I just don't know what to do now.

I have a hen with bumbles on both feet. I think I posted on this thread about it.

I thought I knew what I was doing and attempted the surgery...
sickbyc.gif

I wasn't prepared for the blood and yuck! The pics I had seen made it look clean. WRONG!

In one foot I found a 1/2 inch thorn. I pulled it out and, OH MY GOODNESS!! The nastiness that came out after it - YUCK!

Anyway, I wasn't able to get out the "seed" or the whole whatever. I wrapped her feet and left them for over a week. I unwrapped them yesterday and the swelling has almost completely gone away. However, she still has the large scabs on the bottoms of her feet.

Should I attempt the surgery again, or should I leave her be and see if they heal now??

GC, if she has no redness, puffiness, swelling, just leave her be as long she is up and alert and eating well. Just keep a close eye on her wounds, keep up with the cleaniness, neosporin her wound, bandage it up daily until you feel like has healed up which you have already done. You have done well!

Quote:
I discovered one of my hens has bumblefoot, and I am not comfortable doing a surgery on my hens having never done anything like that before so I called my vet...I was told basically the same thing. Said if you pack the area with an antibiotic ointment such as neosporin, cotton ball, and vet wrap, and change the bandage every other day, it will come to a head and drain on its own. Suggested seperating her from the rest of the flock to avoid her getting picked on, as when there is an injured bird, they tend to pick on that one...I am too squimish to open up her foot, so will try this route first...good luck to those of you who are willing to try, or do it yourself!

Back
Top Bottom