Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
sad.png
I feel bad. Today she ducked and moved away when I went to pet her.

She did not have a scab on the bottom of the foot but she did have a puncture in the bottom of her foot that had some scabbing on it. Once I removed the little plug out of the little hole, I was able to take out some of that cheesy crud out with a pick that came with the surgical kit we have (we run a bird rescue and have an extensive first aid kit for the birds, ducks and chickens). So once no more was coming out, I had my husband cut her to get that stuff out of the pad of her foot. It's very swollen, or not swollen, but you can just see that there's a lot of that crud in the pad of her foot and I wanted to get it out.

The piece between her toes, when I first tried, nothing would budge but a lot of blood came out. Then the cheesy stuff came out in two pieces. I tried to squeeze more out, but this red bulbous thing appeared and each time I grapped it with the forceps or the pick in my surgical kit, she screamed and more blood came out. I was hurting her and she started shaking so I decided I'll have to take her in to have the vet do it.

I feel stupid because I sat in on my rooster Charlies surgery. So I watched the vet do this and yet I couldn't do it myself. But that's because at the vet, Charlie and my other two chickens that had this done were under general anesthesia. Here I knew I was inflicting pain and I got weak in the knees and couldn't go through with it.
he.gif
I used superglue to seal the cuts I made in the bottom of her foot.

Today she is walking but obviously I didn't get this stuff out and I don't want to put her through any more pain by opening it up again when it's already sore. So I'll have to sit in on her surgery to see exactly how he does it and how he digs out that red bulbous stuff. Will told me it was her tendons and I freaked out and said that's it, I'm done. I also gave her Metacam for pain before I started on her.

Kasia - it's always hard to tell from pics just how to advise someone but it sounds like you did the right thing. If there was gunk in the pad it needed to come out and more often than not, that means making a slit in the pad to dig it out. Even if you just pull of the scab and the "plug/kernel" easily pops out, there is usually that abcessed gunk (cheesy stuff) all around the center that needs to be dug out. So it sounds like you did it right.

The thing between the toes sounds like you got it out when the cheesy stuff came out in two pieces. The red bulbous thing could be a vessel or something. I would just pack it with regular Neoporin and leave her alone for a day or two and see how she does. If you didn't get everything out of the pad, I would go back in while the wound is still fresh and get it out.

Of course, it's up to you. If you have a vet who will operate on chickens (I don't) and $300 to pay for the procedure, by all means go for it. But please don't feel bad about trying to do it yourself and help her. It took courage and you did a good job. She's not going to harbor any bad will towards you - well maybe only for a day or two.
smile.png

I have a hen with bumblefoot in both feet. Tonight I tried the surgery on the foot that was extremely swollen and had a large black scab, but I couldn't get anything out, so I am going to try again and "dig" this time. The other foot does not have a scab, but it is swollen and I can see a yellowish/whitish thing near the surface of the foot pad. So my question is, should I remove the thing even though it doesn't have a scab?

I have a d'Uccle rooster that has had a black spot on his pad for a year now, but never any swelling or limping like there was tenderness. I keep watch over it, always meaning to get it when it gets worse. But it never has. Should I just keep watching it?

And how in the HECK do you bandage something with feathers on almost every toe, and all up the shank? We're not talking about small feathers, either. I tease him for having winged feet, these feathers are so long and strong!

Would I be better off just doing a series of foot soaks? I also read about someone making a poultice of duramyacin (sp?) and applying it each day for a period of time. I'm thinking these may be better options for Mr Tennessee.

Quote:
If there's NO swelling or limping I would leave well enough alone. Could just be a callous.

As far as bandaging goes, I don't bandage - I just wrap the foot with vetwrap going between the toes and around the ankle (see photos at beginning of thread). That way the bird can still use it's feet and still roost.

Quote:
Cool. I will just keep watching it.

I'm not sure I could weave bandages in and around his foot & ankle feathers.
Here's the best pic I could find that shows his foot feathers:

2952_100_6503.jpg

Quote:
Cool. I will just keep watching it.

I'm not sure I could weave bandages in and around his foot & ankle feathers.
Here's the best pic I could find that shows his foot feathers:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/2952_100_6503.jpg

OMG - what a beauty. In his case, I'd maybe apply a piece sticky bandage tape or piece of duct tape or something to the pad of his foot and call it a day.

Quote:
Thanks!

I'll keep that in mind. Duct tape is a great idea!
But mostly I think I will just keep an eye on it. I've picked the black spot off before and there was just a dent underneath it. Now I can't pick off the black spot. But since he's acting fine and has no swelling I'll just keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom