Bumblefoot

Could someone tell me how much epsom to use? I was thinking of trying the five gallon bucket idea to soak my hen's foot.
I wonder if an epsom salt paste/poultice would help or irritate?
Has anyone tried castor oil topically to draw out the infection?

Do bumbles ever appear on top of the foot? Her foot looks like the pictures I have seen but the scab is on top instead of on the bottom. It kind of looks like it is healing on it's own so I am hesitant to bother her.
I dissolve as much E.s. as will, into warm water. That's generally a few tablespoons per cup of water. Haven't used castor oil...

I think I have heard of a few bumbles scabbing on top of the foot. I also sometimes use a dab of triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller - it's quicker and easier and for early bumbles works pretty well.

Oh thank you, Amiga, for responding. Do you wrap the foot to keep the triple antibiotic on the foot or just dab it on and let her go?

Just dab it on, no wrapping.

Especially at bedtime
2764.png

I have a hen, who has a pad that's slightly swollen. New to chickens so I'm not sure what it is or whether to treat it or not. I don't have a picture but can post one tomorrow. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a hen, who has a pad that's slightly swollen. New to chickens so I'm not sure what it is or whether to treat it or not. I don't have a picture but can post one tomorrow. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think a swollen foot is anything to be concerned about. In fact I think many times a bird will recover from bumblefoot on their own. I only treated mine because she was limping.

I have seen a number of rough cases of bumblefoot in posts on BYC. I feel it's better to catch it early before it is a life-threatening problem.

I keep ducks, not chickens - so for what it is worth, I have just treated with three applications of triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller per day, and in a number of weeks it's gone.

For more advanced cases, some use clear (yes, clear not brown) iodine. @Miss Lydia has used it on her chicken, I believe.

I have seen a number of rough cases of bumblefoot in posts on BYC. I feel it's better to catch it early before it is a life-threatening problem.

I keep ducks, not chickens - so for what it is worth, I have just treated with three applications of triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller per day, and in a number of weeks it's gone.

For more advanced cases, some use clear (yes, clear not brown) iodine. @Miss Lydia has used it on her chicken, I believe.
Yes I did 2 hens first with the brown iodine after soaking her foot in Epsom salt and warm water but the clear iodine and Epsom salt works much better. It only took a week to be able to get the scab to come up with just gently lifting with my finger nail. Be sure to clean her foot and check for splinters etc. may not be bumble but can turn into it. Once you get the scab off either you can gently squeeze the bumble out or take sterile tweezers and pull it out. Chicken pus is thick almost like cottage cheese. Or if there isn't a scab just soak for a few days in Epsom salt and warm water you can still use the clear iodine if you want but Epsom salt can help with swelling. Once i had the scab off I put antibiotic ointment with out pain killer in the hole and non stick gauze then vet wrap to keep the wound clean. Change every few days till healed.

Back
Top Bottom