Bumblefoot

I've been treating my hen for bumblefoot for about 2 weeks now & her sore is looking a lot better- I think the new tissue looks pink & healthy. She still has a fair amount of redness & swelling & warmth in the foot. I never have gotten a core/seed (term?) out of her foot like I did on her other foot. Do I need to keep digging? Or just keep doing what I'm doing? I've been doing Epsom baths every other day & changing her dressing. Using vetricyn & antibiotic cream. Seems to be healing except for the continued redness. Thoughts?
The foot looks good to me. I would simply put antibiotic gel on it and wrap it. Leave it a for a week and change dressings. That's all. It should heal by itself. I am finding that less is more.

Hi everyone is this bumblefoot our rooster Robbie has been limping a bit lately. After researching your posts we soaked his foot with epson salts. He is very tender in the area so Im hesitant to commit to surgury. Should we just go for it, the scab just looks a lot larger than any I have seen in these threads. Could someone please advise a way forward.
Dave n Lisa

That certainly looks like bumblefoot. I have had success with epsom salt soaks and this natural tincture http://www.moonlightmileherbs.com/herbaltinctures.html. It takes a while but I have avoided surgery.

I have read this whole thread and you have recommended this company a number of times over the past year. I have been making soaps, lotions and such for several decades and doing shows and farmer's markets. One thing I learned years ago in this area is nothing has an indefinite shelf life. Every time a bottle is open it is exposed to light and air and that breaks down contents. There are website all over the net that tell you how to make tinctures, all it takes is alcohol and herbs. I'm actually surprised that site hasn't gotten in trouble for claiming to cure issues, but then I guess it is different with animals than humans.

Last edited:
Hi everyone is this bumblefoot our rooster Robbie has been limping a bit lately. After researching your posts we soaked his foot with epson salts. He is very tender in the area so Im hesitant to commit to surgury. Should we just go for it, the scab just looks a lot larger than any I have seen in these threads. Could someone please advise a way forward.
Dave n Lisa

We just had to do surgery on one of our girls. I didn't get a picture of the bottom of her foot but it was yucky.

We soaked her foot in epson salts while daddy (hubby) hand fed her, she is THE biggest sweety you could ever meet. When she was done soaking dad held her in a towel loosely and I got her foot. Seems I'm the least squeemish (that and I'd had my pain meds, Percocet & Morphin so I wasn't feeling any pain) anyway. I use alcohol on everything to make sure they were all clean and I had scalpels from TSC.

Once daddy had her I uncurled her foot and made the first cut, as soon as I did that brown pus started coming out. I kept cutting all the around and down into her foot, poor baby, she never flinch and daddy looked away the whole time. Her foot wasn't very bad on the bottom but we had noticed that something was poking up between her toes. As I kept cutting I saw there was a huge thing attached to the scab so I just kept cutting into and around the piece. I finally got that out and it was GROSS
duc.gif
I knew I had to make sure there was nothing else in there so I kept squeezing and looking around and then I found another small hard piece and used the tweezers and pulled it out. Once I got the large piece out it did bleed but not a whole lot. Once I got the two pieces out I did do a lot of feeling around and then looked at the top of her foot and the protrusion was gone so I knew I got.

We had some Silver (something or other, can't remember the name right now) from the time we took Meg to the vet so we bandaged her up with it and she walked out of the house following daddy with her pink vetwrap. To her no worse for the wear, daddy about to be sick, me loopy and glad for it.

I'm on a lot of medication due to health issues and I just ended up with a Rx of Meloxicam that I think I read on her that can be used for chickens so that will be nice for the future.

I am only stating what has been my experience with this company's product. I am not sure why that would be a problem for anyone. Of course you can make your own tinctures should you wish to pursue it but I chose to use this product and it help my little hen who had the problem.

I have read this whole thread and you have recommended this company a number of times over the past year. I have been making soaps, lotions and such for several decades and doing shows and farmer's markets. One thing I learned years ago in this area is nothing has an indefinite shelf life. Every time a bottle is open it is exposed to light and air and that breaks down contents. There are website all over the net that tell you how to make tinctures, all it takes is alcohol and herbs. I'm actually surprised that site hasn't gotten in trouble for claiming to cure issues, but then I guess it is different with animals than humans.
I am only stating what worked for me and my little hen who had a problem with bumblefoot. It is my personal experience and that should not be a problem for anyone. Of course, if one wishes to pursue the making of tinctures or herbal remedies there is information to do so. I chose to use this product and it worked for me. Not sure why my suggestion is a problem for you unless you have a personal problem with the person who sells this product. I do not know/nor have I ever had personal interaction with the maker nor does my suggestion of her product in any way result in any personal gain for me.

Could someone tell me how much epsom to use? I was thinking of trying the five gallon bucket idea to soak my hen's foot.
I wonder if an epsom salt paste/poultice would help or irritate?
Has anyone tried castor oil topically to draw out the infection?

Do bumbles ever appear on top of the foot? Her foot looks like the pictures I have seen but the scab is on top instead of on the bottom. It kind of looks like it is healing on it's own so I am hesitant to bother her.

Back
Top Bottom