Chickenpapa77

Chirping
Sep 28, 2021
Hello, I have had chickens for 7 years now and am having my first chicken foot issues. My 2yr old EE (Nugget) had what appeared to be the start of a bumble. I removed the black dot after an epsom salt bath, but then noticed that her pad on the same foot seemed hard, slightly misshapen and discolored. I poked and prodded and it did not seem to cause her noticeable pain but was wondering if this is also the start of Bumblefoot?

The photo is of the spot in question after cleaning, not the bumble I removed.

Thanks.

Attachments

• D301F311-E6CF-4CE5-B2C2-9B3F6BDE63D9.jpeg
    D301F311-E6CF-4CE5-B2C2-9B3F6BDE63D9.jpeg
    690.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 9556FF39-EFD9-4A97-98CB-064D747B3F0B.jpeg
    9556FF39-EFD9-4A97-98CB-064D747B3F0B.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 7
That spot looks like foot dermatitis, which can lead to bumblefoot if not addressed. I would soak that foot also, clean it up, and do topical treatments. If your birds are living it wet conditions (wet litter can cause this) or have a lot of droppings build up, that could be a cause. Also possible that it was some kind of small injury. I would treat it as early bumblefoot, it's small enough that topical treatments may be enough for it to resolve, but it may take some time.

That spot looks like foot dermatitis, which can lead to bumblefoot if not addressed. I would soak that foot also, clean it up, and do topical treatments. If your birds are living it wet conditions (wet litter can cause this) or have a lot of droppings build up, that could be a cause. Also possible that it was some kind of small injury. I would treat it as early bumblefoot, it's small enough that topical treatments may be enough for it to resolve, but it may take some time.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom