Bump/cyst? On her butt!!!!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My PR has always had problems with poop getting matted to her butt feather. I try cutting her feathers but it doesn’t help. When she does end up with poop matted to her butt she starts to bald back there. I’m thinking the poop gets too heavy for her feather and they fall out and then probally pecking from the other flock members has to do with it. This morning I noticed a big bump on her butt. What is it? Will she be okay? She eats and drinks as far as I know. Should I seperate her? I will be out today until 2:30 I’ll get home so she will be okay until then?

pictures

Attachments

• DC7E6EE2-3DAC-4025-86BC-AD024E89D9C2.jpeg
    DC7E6EE2-3DAC-4025-86BC-AD024E89D9C2.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 4DD48F6F-7B41-4084-88F8-AE26806C470E.jpeg
    4DD48F6F-7B41-4084-88F8-AE26806C470E.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 4
Probably an ingrown feather. Clean the area well with an antiseptic, then take a sterile needle and see if you can tease the feather out. Likely it will need to be plucked once you work it loose.
1678458266040.jpeg

What kind of needle. I would have to buy one because we don’t have any. But yes i might be able to have someone hold her in a towel so she doesn’t flap. Or I’ll hold them and they use the needle. I’m very nervouse using needles near them.

Have someone help you with this or if vet care is an option that would be good.
Swaddling her in a towel to help capture the wings can be helpful.

You can use Chlorhexidine or Betadine (Povidone Iodine) to clean the area really well.
As for a needle, just a sharp needle that you can handle.
Have some tweezers on hand in case you need to pluck the feather out.

Have someone help you with this or if vet care is an option that would be good.
Swaddling her in a towel to help capture the wings can be helpful.

You can use Chlorhexidine or Betadine (Povidone Iodine) to clean the area really well.
As for a needle, just a sharp needle that you can handle.
Have some tweezers on hand in case you need to pluck the feather out.
I have this (picture below).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 3
For me, I'd use something like Chlorhexidine or Betadine (Povidone Iodine) to cleans the skin well before exploring for an ingrown feather.
You can use the vetericyn as follow up care over the next few days to spray the area though.

For me, I'd use something like Chlorhexidine or Betadine (Povidone Iodine) to cleans the skin well before exploring for an ingrown feather.
You can use the vetericyn as follow up care over the next few days to spray the area though.
Do sterilize the needle what should I do? I also have blu kote. After I open the the bump should I apply some blue kote to the wound?

Back
Top Bottom