Bumper bits - I just installed one on my hen

I haven't switched her back to the peepers yet since the operation is traumatic for us both. But she looks up at me, imploring me to do something, calling, "caw, caw, caw". I'm heading out now to take the dreadful bumper bit off and restore her peepers, which at least reduce the amount of feathers she shaves from the others. And sometimes, when she's having a really manic afternoon, I simply segregate her, and she heads into the other coop to sleep with the rooster, with no apparent anxiety.

I have no experience with bumper bits, indeed I have never even seen them. But I think that what you have said about her "imploring me to do something" is pretty key. Yes, her need/desire to strip feathers from your other birds needs to be addressed, but I don't think that should be at the expense of causing distress to her.

I applaud you for thinking outside the box and trying different tactics. Lord knows that these chickens of ours are great at throwing out challenges!
he.gif

However, I also think that your decision to revert back to the pinless peepers is the right one - and that now is the right time. I have seen you post many times on this board and I know that you always try to do the right thing by your birds. You have recognised that she is in distress and is not able to adapt to the BB's with regards to eating, so the BB's have to go.

You have been in the chicken game long enough, so I am presuming that your birds have adequate space and stimulation. Have you considered upping her protein each day now that she is an adult bird? Failing that, I think the pinless peepers and the separation when required are the way to go.

My very best to you and your flock,

Krista
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you both for your responses, but have you taken notice that the date on this thread is almost three years ago?

To bring you both up to speed on Flo, she is now much older, has gone lame, and has to be in protective custody or the rest of the flock thrashes her mercilessly. So by default, she no longer has a feather picking problem. Her other problems are now much more serious that her feather picking ever was. But she is loved and well cared for and is no longer wearing peepers or bits and still lays eggs every day in spite of her problems.

Now, are there any questions you have that I can answer?

In reply to Catseyes post, what about the poor chicken getting the back of her head ripped out every time I try to reintroduce her to the others. These devices do not hurt the chicken, nor prevent them eating and drinking. As soon as the behaviour has stopped the Bumpa bits can be removed. They are not torture devices just a way of preventing cruel behaviour and possible death.

Anyone using these torture instruments doesn't deserve to care for chickens. These things are awful and shouldn't be used. I think it would be better to rehome the hen than it would be to ever resort to one of these things. I thought this site was anti cruelty!?!

No of course not, but good husbandry should find a way round the problem. I think it would be better to rehome the hen than it would be to ever resort to one of these things.

Thank you both for your responses, but have you taken notice that the date on this thread is almost three years ago?

To bring you both up to speed on Flo, she is now much older, has gone lame, and has to be in protective custody or the rest of the flock thrashes her mercilessly. So by default, she no longer has a feather picking problem. Her other problems are now much more serious that her feather picking ever was. But she is loved and well cared for and is no longer wearing peepers or bits and still lays eggs every day in spite of her problems.

Now, are there any questions you have that I can answer?

D'oh! I had not noticed the date, lol.
smile.png
I really must remember to check that!

I have no questions, but I would like to thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear that Flo has been having such a hard time. I am glad though that you continue to look after her so well. Many people offload the old, the sick and the lame. It's lovely to hear that Flo gets to live out her days in such a loving environment.

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom