tymimo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Everyone,
I'm just finishing up my coop for 4 chickens and was thinking about the coop interior. The coop is made mostly from reclaimed 2x4s and pallets so there are plenty of holes, gouges etc. I was thinking of trying to use the "Shou Sugi Ban" technique of burning the wood to help singe off splinters and seal the surface.

Images can be seen here:
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1697...169711/list/Shou-sugi-ban--Burnt-Wood-Siding-

Does anyone see any health problems for the chickens with this?

I guess I could paint the interior but the idea of playing with fire is just too great.

TIA,

Burning wood has many advantages. It is very effective in repelling termites and other insects. It will not hurt the chickens. Ventilation is important in any coop. It can be extremely attractive as well. If you like seal it with after the burn to make the wood last longer. I have had a smoke shed with burnt wood inside and it was fabulous and lasted forever because it naturally repelled insects that would have otherwise deteriorated the wood.

Best of wishes to ya.

Phil

I would imagine that the formaldehyde would gas off being exposed to the outdoors all the time. Any chicken coop should not be remotely air tight, so it would not trap any fumes.

Chris

Thanks for the replies. I only used pallets that were marked "HT" which I understand to be kiln dried. Still waffling but if I do try this I'll be sure to post pics.

Back
Top Bottom