Butcher question

My second batch of three CXR weighed:
4 lbs., 11.8 oz. (below)
4 lbs., 8.2 oz.
4 lbs., 1.9 oz.

The last three will be processed Tuesday morning.

View attachment 3768909
That's a nice clean processing, and excellent weights. If I had results anything like that, I might have continued with the CX. Where did you buy yours again???

That's a nice clean processing, and excellent weights. If I had results anything like that, I might have continued with the CX. Where did you buy yours again???
Thank you! Hoover's Hatchery, I believe. I had also ordered Sapphire Gems and Prairie Bluebell Eggers from them, six of each. They are called Cornish X Rock Cross in the online catalog if I recall correctly.

You really can't beat those CX for efficiency. Bit envious right now. At 5 weeks old, my 9 freedom rangers are making a total mess out of my coop. Sleeping in the nest boxes, eating and pooping everywhere. The thought of being able to butcher tomorrow and having 4.5 lb. birds sounds pretty appealing right now.

But ... I really do prefer the taste of birds that are a bit older. Really love the flavor of 10 week old ranger. It's a lot more work, tho.

They are messy, can't argue that. They poop more because they eat so much more! We keep ours in a separate pen from the laying flock. If I do this again I'll make some changes. Right now their little coop is set up so the most of the poop ends up right in the path to the laying hens' coop. Ick!

Yeah, mine are in one of my coops with the rooster and some layers. For the last few years, I've ordered a dozen hatching eggs from Freedom Ranger. Usually, I get anywhere between 1 and 6 to hatch. This year 9 hatched, plus one barnyarder egg I threw in. It's quite the horde. Rooster is great with them, the hens not so much.

Now, how would you guys cook a nice fresh youngster like this? I usually stew my older birds, but I certainly don't want to do that here. Suggestions?

How do you otherwise like to eat chicken? I agree, I wouldn't stew it. Short of that, anything goes. Grilled, fried or pound the breasts into a piccata? I would use fast cooking techniques to enjoy the tenderness of the meat. But, if you like roast chicken, that would be good as well.

Whatever you decide, report back if you can.

My GirlChild likes bbq chicken. But again, that's what I do with an older bird or with thighs from the market. Put in crockpot, cover with sauce. Cook for hours till tender, moist and juicy.

Back
Top Bottom