Butcher question

Whole? In the oven, like a turkey? Hmm. Sounds good.
Definitely. You can season the skin and/or glaze it too to add some flavor. Slow roast on 275F until thickest part of the meat reaches temperature (check USDA for guidelines, I usually go to 190F I think). Makes the most tender, juicy pulled/carved chicken. Eat straight or any way you like.

Definitely. You can season the skin and/or glaze it too to add some flavor. Slow roast on 275F until thickest part of the meat reaches temperature (check USDA for guidelines, I usually go to 190F I think). Makes the most tender, juicy pulled/carved chicken. Eat straight or any way you like.

You can stuff a chicken too, if you like stuffing. It's the same shape bird as a turkey, just a bit smaller.

Yes
I was doing this with store bought before I started raising my own.
Mmm, lots of options! I decided to spatchcock my first one. Will cook faster than roasting whole. Coated with mild olive oil, then seasoned with s/p, garlic powder, sage, thyme and smoked paprika. Will report later! Thanks for the suggestions!

Mmm, lots of options! I decided to spatchcock my first one. Will cook faster than roasting whole. Coated with mild olive oil, then seasoned with s/p, garlic powder, sage, thyme and smoked paprika. Will report later! Thanks for the suggestions!
Spatchcocking is a great way to ensure consistent cooking. Definitely my preference for "whole" birds.

Cutting the spine out was harder work than I anticipated. Def ordering a better pair of kitchen scissors! My arms / shoulders are not strong, but I managed. After about 55 minutes at 425°F, I checked temps with an instant thermometer and it tested done. I let it rest about ten minutes and began to cut it. But alas, it was not done! So I took the breast off the bone, separated drums from thighs and stuck it back in the oven. Another 15 minutes later and it was cooked. It was tender and delicious, but honestly, not pretty! So no photos. Family happy. Served with instant mashed and (forgive me!) jarred chicken gravy.

Back
Top Bottom