Butcher question

If you cook the meat in the middle of rigor it can be so tough it is inedible.

You must be using "inedible" differently than I would. A tough chicken can be difficult to eat, but it certainly CAN be eaten (chop the meat small with a knife, or plan on lots of chewing.)

I do agree that less-tough chicken is preferable.

What low acid marinades would you suggest?
Buttermilk based or Yogurt-based marinades, rather than juice-based marinades. Plain yogurt, not greek yogurt (greek yogurt is more acidic). You will note that the faster marinade recipes call for greek yogurt specifically because it is more acidic - but because you are doing a longer marinade in the chill chest, you want to use a lower acidity.

Buttermilk pH 4.4-4.8
Yogurt pH 4.4-4.8
Greek Yogurt pH 4.0-4.6
Mayonnaise pH 3.6-4.0
Apple Juice pH 3.8+/-
Orange Juice pH 3.3-4.2
Pineapple pH 3.5 +/-
Lemon Juice pH 2.0-2.6
Lime Juice pH 2.0-2.4

The longer its in the marinade, the higher the pH you want (and then refridgeration is VERY important, because the lower acidiy does not retard the growth of pathogens as effectively.) bcause long rests at low pH is not good eats...

You must be using "inedible" differently than I would. A tough chicken can be difficult to eat, but it certainly CAN be eaten (chop the meat small with a knife, or plan on lots of chewing.)

I do agree that less-tough chicken is preferable.
I thought I was trying to eat rubber bands. Then tried Chopped fine and simmer for soup, still fed the dogs

Buttermilk based or Yogurt-based marinades, rather than juice-based marinades. Plain yogurt, not greek yogurt (greek yogurt is more acidic). You will note that the faster marinade recipes call for greek yogurt specifically because it is more acidic - but because you are doing a longer marinade in the chill chest, you want to use a lower acidity.

Buttermilk pH 4.4-4.8
Yogurt pH 4.4-4.8
Greek Yogurt pH 4.0-4.6
Mayonnaise pH 3.6-4.0
Apple Juice pH 3.8+/-
Orange Juice pH 3.3-4.2
Pineapple pH 3.5 +/-
Lemon Juice pH 2.0-2.6
Lime Juice pH 2.0-2.4

The longer its in the marinade, the higher the pH you want (and then refridgeration is VERY important, because the lower acidiy does not retard the growth of pathogens as effectively.) bcause long rests at low pH is not good eats...
Thank you so much!

Sausage.

and the one old bird I cooked in rigor early on? Inedible. Like chewing on a shoe sole, not even like shoe leather. We couldn't cut it with table impliments. Zombie apocalypse I suppose I could have kept chewing and chewing and chewing, but we threw it in the pot and made stock out of it instead. Couldn't same any of the meat though, just chicken flavored water.

We've raised nine CornishX Rock Cross to five weeks. Tomorrow the first three go to our Mennonite lady to be processed. (I can only fit three at a time in the fridge.) They look to be nearly as big as some of our adult layers. I'll come back tomorrow and post their dressed weights. They're a little frightening, actually ...

Back
Top Bottom