Butler Quail

quailbrain

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Oregon
I have heard that Butler are a huge quail. I don't see much about them and wonder why that is if they are bigger than Coturnix. Or if they aren't and I've been mislead. I've had Bob white but just a few and didn't "raise" them per say. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about these birds? What they're tempermant is like, ease of hatching and raising, etc. I really appriciate it!

They are pretty much the same as a regular bobwhite, except not as flighty and a bit more mellow. oh yah, and they ARE HUGE!!! once you see a full grown one of these you'll think somebody injected these quail with growth hormones or something. they are absolutly huge. as for not hearing much about them- as large as they are, they arent as popular as other variants of bobs(northern, georgia giants, wisconsin jumbo, reds, masked). the only place ive ever seen them is locally-never online. i bought coturnix from someone who kept these birds and it is unbeleivable once you see them. its like seeing a oegb after youve never seen them in person-they look normal sized in a pic just by themselves

byc user RANDYANDMEGS HAS THEM-- SELLS EGGS CHEAP AND PACKS WELL TOO. THEY ARE THE SUMO WRESTLER OF THE BOB WHITE QUAIL. THEY REACH UPWARDS OF 32 OZ IN SIZE AND THEY ARE MORE TAME AND HANDLEABLE. ESPECIALLY IF PINIONED AT AN EARLY AGE. THERE ARE MANY SOURCES FOR EGGS.

When I checked my incubator earlier this evening, my Butler eggs were hatching. I am really interested to see if they grow as large as everyone says. Hope they don't eat anymore than my A&Ms. They are pigs.

I've raised butlers and regular bobwhites and butlers are nearly double the size.

Some people say they are slower in flight and some game preserves swear they are faster.

Some guy usually has eggs available on ebay and his bird pics show the size.

I took it upon myself to learn the origin of Butler Quail and i went to quite a bit of trouble but never learned anything definite.

One person told me they originated in the 60's in Butler IL - a town of about 200. And i contacted several towns people, some in their 80's and some with a rich quail history, but none knew about butler quail nor who developed them.

I contacted a few university agricultural departments and even retired leaders of such departments and nothing.

If anyone knows more about who originally developed the larger birds, please share. I'm going to try Butler Indiana next, maybe that will work.

Thanks
oldguy

Quote:
I had heard that Indiana is where they started. I did some searching too and wasn't able to learn much. Hope you are successful in your search. I would like to know about their background too. I am raising a covey of the rascals and really enjoying them. They were quite flighty from first hatched till a couple of months of age. They are a little over 2 months now and starting to settle down. They seem to be quite vocal and their chatter is really a joy to hear. Mine are already bigger than a regular sized Bobwhite. I really am glad to have them.

David

How do they taste?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom