Button or Tibetan? *UPDATE- THEY HATCHED!!* *pics coming soon.......* last page..

iluvsedward

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Calvert County MD
what are some pro's and con's on the both of these breeds? which is better for a first timer? which is easier to keep? which lays more/bigger? when do button mature? which are more friendly? which do you think would do better in a rabbit hutch? which is better at surviving? which is easier to take care of and hatch feed and keep healthy?
THANKS!!!!!!!

Last edited:
sounds like you are talking about two different breeds of quails, the buttons are Chinese blue breasted quails(button/cbbq) which would have to be inside, smaller birds, can't deal with temps below 60 degree's that great.

tibetan is a color variety of coturnix quails, which live outside, larger quails. Mainly used for meat/egg production but have some wonderful colors.

way i see it all people just starting with quails should get coturnix first, they are an easy breed, relativly calm(unless buttons who will fly at first moments notice). alot of people keep their cots in rabbit hutch,

check out the stickies at the top of the quail forum, there is info on both CBBQ and Coturnix as well as housing for the birds.

Coturnix is the way to go. I actually took the time to read your link...if you want eggs I wouldn't buy from them, read the fine print.

1) They are going to send you 10 eggs from different pens, that means color not guaranteed, they're just trying to fill an order.

2) They said to many times that the hatch rate would be effected by the post office, not their fault. This time of year unless the breeders are under lights the fertility would be way low. I think the seller is already making excuses.

3) $7.95 shipping but, for $37.00 can express ship. So they are saying that they will put a stamp on it and you might get them within 3-4 days or for a tons more money you can get them over night. I have shipped tons of eggs for $10.95 flat rate priority mail with no issues. (Not that I would sell to you right now, see #2)

If you are going to buy eggs, check all the facts. There is a sticky that has a game bird breeder directory. I would suggest you look there before hitting flea bay. There are good sellers on flea bay, many from this forum, but read what the add is telling you before you buy the first great deal that comes a long.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
Bfrancis has GREAT advice, the problem with buying hatching eggs in the winter is that often the people sell year round and sometimes they dont add light to their birds to promote breeding but the hens will get enough light to lay eggs. Since its winter right now coturnix will not breed much unless they are provided light. If you want to buy eggs from someone look at our breeders list in the quail stickies, you can get eggs from someone in a warmer climate of the US than yours and you "might" have better hatches but know that just because you buy a dozen eggs doesnt mean you will get a dozen birds.

There are many variables and things that can go wrong with hatching, it can be low fertility of the eggs, incubator problems, or human problems.

If you were closer I would just give you birds or eggs, I have never shipped eggs or birds

Last edited:
Anyone near her that can just give her some eggs or a couple birds for free? I like to help the youngsters out and its always great to get someone else addicted to quail
lau.gif

If her location under her avatar is right then she lives in Maryland? that is MD right? lol

what, i thought she was a doctor from the beach.... lol

anywa yyea, i saw that ebay post as well. looks like junk honestly. as far as the whole incubation process, check the coturnix link in the stickies, there is a section of the post all about incubation.

Back
Top Bottom