Button Quail?

I am getting some eggs in a few weeks and I am building an indoor pen for them in preparation! Coming together well so far. I need to finish up the molding and touch up some paint.The area is 4.75 square feet and I plan to keep 1 pair in it. I bought enough materials to make another enclosure that I can stack on top of this one if I want to expand.
There is vinyl tile on the floor for easy cleaning, foam on the ceiling, plexiglass doors closed with magnets and rope light for ambiance.
I can't wait to add more goodies to it.

Any suggestions for a waterer? Do I need more ventilation?

I am getting some eggs in a few weeks and I am building an indoor pen for them in preparation! Coming together well so far. I need to finish up the molding and touch up some paint.The area is 4.75 square feet and I plan to keep 1 pair in it. I bought enough materials to make another enclosure that I can stack on top of this one if I want to expand.
There is vinyl tile on the floor for easy cleaning, foam on the ceiling, plexiglass doors closed with magnets and rope light for ambiance.
I can't wait to add more goodies to it.

Any suggestions for a waterer? Do I need more ventilation?

Hey, I got a 3 inch flatscreen tv around here somewhere, then all you'll need is a tiny little DVR...

lau.gif

Yeah! Yeah! With surround sound. A leather couch and an espresso machine too. Maybe even a tiny little fridge stocked with Evian and gourmet millet.

No timeshares available but spa packages start at $500/night.

Seriously though, what do you find is a button quail's preferred water source? Bottle, cup, poultry nipple? I can't find any good recommendations for this.

No timeshares available but spa packages start at $500/night.

Seriously though, what do you find is a button quail's preferred water source? Bottle, cup, poultry nipple? I can't find any good recommendations for this.

OK pencil me in for 200 birds for 7 nights....

Sorry I never raised a button quail in my life, quail around here are livestock, not pets.

I wouldn't know what to do with a button, unless I had like a thousand...then "quail bites" lol.

Edit; By the way I'm just keeping the birds for a Nigerian prince who can't get out of the country

just now, so instead of a check for 700 grand he's gonna send you 2.7mil, you just cash the check and send back

1.6 mil and keep the rest for your trouble....

Last edited:
I use just a regular cage bird seed or water bottle. like this one:

You could just make a hole in the side of the box or even in the plexi if you can. Nice set-up. I love to see that you are keeping them in pairs! Nice just the way they like it!
You could use it as a brooder for about 6-8 chicks too. just be sure you have adequate heat. And with them I would use a regular chick/chicken water bottle that screws onto a jar.
Don't forget to add décor something they can hide in or even build a nest in. I like the small pop up tissue boxes as when they get messy you can just toss it and add a new one, we use quite a few tissues here.
Good luck and add photos!

I use just a regular cage bird seed or water bottle. like this one:

You could just make a hole in the side of the box or even in the plexi if you can. Nice set-up. I love to see that you are keeping them in pairs! Nice just the way they like it!
You could use it as a brooder for about 6-8 chicks too. just be sure you have adequate heat. And with them I would use a regular chick/chicken water bottle that screws onto a jar.
Don't forget to add décor something they can hide in or even build a nest in. I like the small pop up tissue boxes as when they get messy you can just toss it and add a new one, we use quite a few tissues here.
Good luck and add photos!
Thanks!

I was SO MYSTIFIED the first time my pet quail escaped. I was just staring at the cage thinking "She has to be in there somewhere?!?!" Nope. Escaped and in the laundry basket, pooping on things.

I'm a little concerned because it's just about our one month anniversary, and my adult buttons don't seem to be eating much of their turkey starter. I ground it to be smaller than the seeds they eat, but still not much interest. Should I worry?

Back
Top Bottom