Buying a FoodSaver, need help!

Quote:
There's an attachment to seal mason jars??????
celebrate.gif

Yes, as Pinguin mentioned you can't use it as a substitute for water bath or pressure canning.

Its great for sealing jars of dry goods and dehydrated foods.

I've had the same one for about 6 years. Don't know the model number off hand. I use it a lot. Seems to be getting bit tired, but it has been something I would not go without. I reuse my bags all the time. I like to buy in bulk, and it does make a difference as far as prevention of freezer burn and freshness.

Quote:
You are so going to love this model
I had the earlier model before the fire, that food saver put up 10 deer and 2 Moose.
We are partial to the heart and liver and nothing it seems freezer burns faster. with the food saver 6 months after freezing the Heart was as fresh as the day it was sealed.
when I lost mine to the house fire I whined so much my sister in law got sick of it, went out and bought me the 2440 model.
Even though its a newer model I dont find it works any better or less better than my previous model.
and NO I can not live with out a Food Saver.
The Food Saver and a good mixer are as essential as breathing.

Quote:
Ditto! LOL

I cannot live without a pressure canner, food processor, food slicer or dehydrator either. Man, I sound spoiled!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ditto! LOL

I cannot live without a pressure canner, food processor, food slicer or dehydrator either. Man, I sound spoiled!
big_smile.png

nah not spoiled, just enjoying the simplier way of life.
when the fire took away my toys I had the hardest time finding a dehydrator I could live with, no I still havent found one like I had, it seems I had a rare 7 tray dehydrator, now days all I can find is the 5 tray which for drying is a waste of electricity. those 2 extra trays seemed to save time and energy unlike the 5, I have to double batch each time or buy another 5 tray, I wish they still made the 7 tray, it was a time saver.

Pressure canners scare the life out of me still to this day. I wont use them honestly, if it cant be dried, frozen I wont do it.
I was 10 when the seal let go on my mothers pressure canner. that gauge litterally blew off and went through the ceiling. scared the life out of me . I look at one these days at 50 and still cringe.

Quote:
Ditto! LOL

big_smile.png

Wait--food slicer? What is this food slicer of which you speak?

Quote:
Ditto! LOL

big_smile.png

Wait--food slicer? What is this food slicer of which you speak?

The one we have looks like this one:
foodslicer.gif

We use it for these kind of things:
- slice beef, pork or venison cuts into steaks, chops, roast, etc
- slice turkey breast or ham for sandwich meats
- 'shred' cabbage to make sauerkraut
- we slice our own chip steaks (like the frozen steak-umm brand) from venison or beef
- slice loaves of homemade bread
- very handy during gardening/preserving season

Quote:
Sorry to hear you had a fire. (I haven't posted here long, and apparently missed that.) Hope things continue to improve for you.

I'm 50 too - and love freezing and drying too. But I've pressured canned for 25 yrs. The release valves are different on today's canners. The chance of a blow-up as you experienced in childhood is very slim. Today's canners would rock like crazy on the burner, blow the release valve, etc to give plenty of warning.

Funny though...to do all that freezing, drying, canning, etc for yourself is indeed a simpler way of life.
smile.png
....as compared to working a corporate job for $$$ and spending it on less healthy foods at grocery prices!

edited to fix my screw-up on the quotes
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom