BYC Bible Study Club!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well make sure the verses are complete.. because a single verse not knowing what is around it can and will be taken out of context. I also have things like the original version of Noah Websters dictionary, when combined with the original KJV of the bible. makes it understandable and a meaningful. He wrote the dictionary for people to be able to understand the bible. The definition of marriage in this dictionary is several paragraphs long.. compared to the modern version of a few words. It's incredible :D

Well make sure the verses are complete.. because a single verse not knowing what is around it can and will be taken out of context. I also have things like the original version of Noah Websters dictionary, when combined with the original KJV of the bible. makes it understandable and a meaningful. He wrote the dictionary for people to be able to understand the bible. The definition of marriage in this dictionary is several paragraphs long.. compared to the modern version of a few words. It's incredible
big_smile.png
Sounds good! So on we'll say Monday we should read Ephesians 1:1-2 to start out :)

Quote:
I don't think different versions contradict, I think it's more of a vocabulary and sentance structure issue. But I do agree that we all need to be somewhat aligned with similar versions.

Each version has certain guidlines they adhere too, ie: KJV is very elegant and "old-fashioned", NIV is more focused on general study and is worded as such, NLT is focused on complete thoughts and sentances in today's vernacular, and The Message is a paraphrase. They all have their place but they all use the Greek and Hebrew transcripts to adhere to accuracy. With that being said, I like NLT, NIV, or KJV the best. I'm not especially fond of paraphrase bibles as they can lead to confusion.

I don't think different versions contradict, I think it's more of a vocabulary and sentance structure issue.  But I do agree that we all need to be somewhat aligned with similar versions.

Each version has certain guidlines they adhere too, ie: KJV is very elegant and "old-fashioned", NIV is more focused on general study and is worded as such, NLT is focused on complete thoughts and sentances in today's vernacular, and The Message is a paraphrase.  They all have their place but they all use the Greek and Hebrew transcripts to adhere to accuracy.  With that being said, I like NLT, NIV, or KJV the best.  I'm not especially fond of paraphrase bibles as they can lead to confusion.
I don't think different versions contradict, I think it's more of a vocabulary and sentance structure issue.  But I do agree that we all need to be somewhat aligned with similar versions.

Each version has certain guidlines they adhere too, ie: KJV is very elegant and "old-fashioned", NIV is more focused on general study and is worded as such, NLT is focused on complete thoughts and sentances in today's vernacular, and The Message is a paraphrase.  They all have their place but they all use the Greek and Hebrew transcripts to adhere to accuracy.  With that being said, I like NLT, NIV, or KJV the best.  I'm not especially fond of paraphrase bibles as they can lead to confusion.
different version do create different opinion... we ran into this with Bible trivia.... I'd say king James version...

I can easily read KJV I have read several versions. I like the history of the KJV best. But I think one can just use hat they have. KJV was directly translated by Hebrew scholars to English, and was written in the same language Shakespearean used. Noah Webster translated for that version. I find it most effective in understanding what God meant, but since we are studying together all will be incorporated.. and I advise to pray for truth and understanding in your heart before you read anything. God is the revealer of truth and wisdom. He will reveal his Word to us.

I can easily read KJV I have read several versions. I like the history of the KJV best.  But I think one can just use hat they have.  KJV was directly translated by Hebrew scholars to English, and was written in the same language Shakespearean used.    Noah Webster translated for that version. I find it most effective in understanding what God meant, but since we are studying together all will be incorporated.. and I advise to pray for truth and understanding in your heart before you read anything. God is the revealer of truth and wisdom. He will reveal his Word to us.
yep... I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom