BYC Guinea hen club

Pics
Quote: Thank you! One just hatched! Just unplugged the turner in time!

Alright sounds like you are going to have a great day watching the new additions to your flock coming into the world myself I always like to share this moment with my grand children so if they are not present at the time I take photos of the little guys and it really helps in keeping a record of their growth ..

I am new to having guineas.
There was an ad for them stuck on the note board of our post office.
I gotta tell you, I LOVE MY LITTLE PTERODACTYLS!!
I had no idea at all what I was doing, but they are most forgiving. And I love to watch them chase bugs & frogs for mid-day snacks. Anyone thinking about getting some, SHOULD!!
I live on a mountain in New Hampshire where ticks were a real problem. A few days after they were released (from house arrest after harassing the neighbors-what did I know!) they went to work cleaning up my yard & garden. The only thing they didn't seem to like were the cabbage worms.
tongue.png
Ah, well.....
They've gone broody a few times in the woods, and my white one, Caitlyn was apparently gone after (by a fox?). I found her in a neighbors yard & she is now on home confinement until
She can walk again. She's a tough one, so I'd like to see whatever tried to get her!!
A neighbor stopped by with their dog before she was hurt & was just standing there talking to me when out of the woods she came in full-out attack mode, sending a full grown man & his medium sized dog running back home!!
My other hen Bruce has become tame enough I can pet her & she even comes when I rattle the metal can I keep her food in. (Too Cool!! I was told that guineas are aloof & unsociable.)
My only word of advice is do NOT let them get hooked on Chook-Crack! It has become a bit costly. I do it, but if you're on a budget or don't want to start ordering 5# boxes of mealie worms from Amazon, don't let them start.
pop.gif

I really hope others will chime in with THEIR experiences, as I have a LOT to learn still!

I had no idea at all what I was doing, but they are most forgiving. And I love to watch them chase bugs & frogs for mid-day snacks. Anyone thinking about getting some, SHOULD!!
I live on a mountain in New Hampshire where ticks were a real problem. A few days after they were released (from house arrest after harassing the neighbors-what did I know!) they went to work cleaning up my yard & garden. The only thing they didn't seem to like were the cabbage worms.
tongue.png
Ah, well.....
They've gone broody a few times in the woods, and my white one, Caitlyn was apparently gone after (by a fox?). I found her in a neighbors yard & she is now on home confinement until
She can walk again. She's a tough one, so I'd like to see whatever tried to get her!!
A neighbor stopped by with their dog before she was hurt & was just standing there talking to me when out of the woods she came in full-out attack mode, sending a full grown man & his medium sized dog running back home!!
My other hen Bruce has become tame enough I can pet her & she even comes when I rattle the metal can I keep her food in. (Too Cool!! I was told that guineas are aloof & unsociable.)
My only word of advice is do NOT let them get hooked on Chook-Crack! It has become a bit costly. I do it, but if you're on a budget or don't want to start ordering 5# boxes of mealie worms from Amazon, don't let them start.
pop.gif

I really hope others will chime in with THEIR experiences, as I have a LOT to learn still!

tongue.png
Ah, well.....
pop.gif

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Oh yes guinea are a hoot to have around mine keep the roo's in line and alert when ever a varmint gets in range of the fence and just don't let up .... but yes they do keep down the bugs around the house .....

I just got through selling the last 19 keets! I hatched out about 500, lost about 15, gave away some and traded some r peafowl. The rest I sold. All and all it was a successful year. Next yeas I will not only have guineas but I will have peafowl for sale!

Have you thought about growing your own meal worms? I heard it was easy... I am thinking of growing them in a layered box system... With the bottom box leading to dropping on the guniea pen floor. I had a 5 gallon bucket with large holes on top and small drop holes in the bottom... I put a fish head in it.. And had raining maggots... All my friends got grossed out and the smell attracked a fox. But meal worms might work...

I have 8 guineas and they definitely like space. I am sure they cover a good chunk of our 10 acres every day constantly walking around eating insects. They are usually not hard to locate as they do chatter all day long. I have 2 great pyrenese dogs that like to herd them. They have intimidated the cat who gives them a wide berth. Overall they make a great addition to the yard and are nice to have around.

Have you thought about growing your own meal worms? I heard it was easy... I am thinking of growing them in a layered box system... With the bottom box leading to dropping on the guniea pen floor. I had a 5 gallon bucket with large holes on top and small drop holes in the bottom... I put a fish head in it.. And had raining maggots... All my friends got grossed out and the smell attracked a fox. But meal worms might work...

I live close enough to Rainbow Mealworm farm. I think I am gonna place an order for pick up and go see how things are done. Today I am off to the Solar show in Irvine, CA... gonna take the train by myself for the first time.... everyone that said they would go with me chickened out.

I have 8 guineas and they definitely like space. I am sure they cover a good chunk of our 10 acres every day constantly walking around eating insects. They are usually not hard to locate as they do chatter all day long. I have 2 great pyrenese dogs that like to herd them. They have intimidated the cat who gives them a wide berth. Overall they make a great addition to the yard and are nice to have around.
We have a local feral cat who once tried to attack the guineas and ducks. Now the guineas see him and they go in to a LOUD v formation and start running at him, he has been fortunate enough to out run them so far. LMAO!! It's funny to see.

Back
Top Bottom