BYC members in Massachusetts?

I think those people with farm houses to rent, are out there. You could put your name in with local realtors in the towns that interest you, and give them a good idea of what you're looking for.

Northampton is a beautiful town. I have a friend there with a yoga/bodywork studio in the middle of town. I'll ask him if he knows anyone with a farm house to rent in the area, if you would like. Amherst is great too. The thing is, these are academic-college towns, so prices and rents run higher because they attract an affluent crowd who crave the cultural life that such communities offer. You might have better luck finding something affordable in Greenfield and the towns around there.
I have friends in the Leveritt/Montague area and we've been into Greenfield. He works there, she works in Amherst at the college. I am not at all interested in being in town or even close enough to worry about their college priveledged prices. I just want a place where I can make it beautiful [love to garden], drink the water safely and raise my flock of children and birds. Well, I do have a dog as well and she's considered on of the flock. If there were enough room that her logs could be away from the play areas that would be ideal. I've renovated and worked construction and like to keep to myself... unless someone is really nice, then tea is an option :)

Ashes thought of you today when I scooted thru my town to a road I had never traveled-- to get to cub scout leaders house. I passed a deserted barn and often wondered who it belonged to-- it seems to be vacant. WIth a chunk of land with it . . . it's a mystery.

I'm in the Blackstone Valley.
Time to see if its vacant and try to squat?? Probably not such a good idea unless you want me to move in with you if they kick us out lol Not afraid of work, just no hope and no choice.

I am from Massachusetts too! :) New to BYC, but I am wondering if you guys could let me know of any hatcheries in or near MA where I could get started pullets or something of the sort. Thanks
smile.png

Don't know where you are located but I got mine from farmers exchange in Townsend, they get chicks from mt healthy in the spring you just have to place your order early.

Thanks, jetdog! Called them and asked about everything, I may end up either doing that or hatching my own chicken's eggs. Thanks for the info though, I wouldn't have found that place if it wasn't for you :) IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER BREEDERS OR HATCHERIES LOCATED IN MA OR AROUND IT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thank you :)

Dodge Grain in Salem NH gets in a large variety of chicks throughout the spring/summer. A few select varieties are in already. Last year they had started pullets available. Those came with the tip of their beaks trimmed, not sure if that matters to you.

http://www.dodgegrain.biz/content.aspx?cid=6

Littleton Agway apparently is taking chick orders now. Klems near Sturbridge has chicks mid spring. The Northeast Avicultiral Society has meetings/sales once a month at the Westford Sportsman's Club. Downside is you now need to be a member to sell OR buy, but there's usually a good selection of chicks and started birds when the weather warms up.

I guess it all depends where you are located and what exactly you are looking for.

Last edited:
Thanks, jetdog! Called them and asked about everything, I may end up either doing that or hatching my own chicken's eggs. Thanks for the info though, I wouldn't have found that place if it wasn't for you :) IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER BREEDERS OR HATCHERIES LOCATED IN MA OR AROUND IT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thank you :)

Hardy's Poultry Farm on Rt. 133 in Ipswich - they sell chicks, though maybe not till spring.
The Agway on Wenham St. in Danvers. The woman who runs the poultry consignment there gets interesting stuff like Welsumers and Comets, plus ducklings, guinea keets and bantams. She will also make a custom order for you.
Also, as Keesmom said, Dodge Grain in Salem, NH. They're on So. Broadway and easy to get to off Rt. 97 or I-93. I got my Emden goslings there and they have chicks and ducklings as well.

Back
Top Bottom