Molting issue

pegret23

Chirping
Jun 14, 2021
One of my 16 ducks molted back in the spring and has yet to grow her feathers back in. She looks like all ducks do when they molt and lose their wing feathers but nothing has come back. All other ducks have molted and regrown back all their feathers with no problem. Should we be worried about her for the winter? We live in western Massachusetts.

One of my 16 ducks molted back in the spring and has yet to grow her feathers back in. She looks like all ducks do when they molt and lose their wing feathers but nothing has come back. All other ducks have molted and regrown back all their feathers with no problem. Should we be worried about her for the winter? We live in western Massachusetts.
can you post pictures of her?
what is her diet?
was she on any dewormers during her molt?
I would be concerned for the winter, yes, they need feathers to keep warm

what is her diet?
I’ll take pics tomorrow, we give them kalmbach all natural 16% maintainer, and oyster shells, as well as a scratch grain. Plus kale in the evenings and meal worms both morning and evening as a snack. We have not given dewormers, but it is only the one duck so I didn’t think it would be something like that as an issue

what is her diet?

Attachments

• IMG_7365.jpeg
    IMG_7365.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 9
I’ll take pics tomorrow, we give them kalmbach all natural 16% maintainer, and oyster shells, as well as a scratch grain. Plus kale in the evenings and meal worms both morning and evening as a snack. We have not given dewormers, but it is only the one duck so I didn’t think it would be something like that as an issue
i would switch to a higher protein feed something thats 20% like an all flock pellet or flock raiser .
They all ate the same food but she may just be more sensitive and need more protein.
you can also give her some vitamins like poultry cell or nutridrench

One of my duck's wings also looks similar. I wasn't sure if it was hen-pecking, but I have never observed her being messed with by the other ducks. Maybe it is the same thing. Most of her flight feathers are just the quills. She looks damp since she just came out of the pool.
image0 (7).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg
image3 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 4
thats 19% pretty good..
can you tell us the history of your duck?
age, when molt started, do you have drakes that mate her, have you checked her oil gland to see if it looks normal?

Back
Top Bottom