Duck age for molting

Fallenone05

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
My Cayuga duck hens are approximately 8 months old and are losing their wing feathers. They have a healthy appetite, and someone or both of them, are laying an egg every day. I've been seeing that ducks do a fall molt but nothing I've seen says at what age they start the molt?? Just wondering if my hens are okay.

My Cayuga duck hens are approximately 8 months old and are losing their wing feathers. They have a healthy appetite, and someone or both of them, are laying an egg every day. I've been seeing that ducks do a fall molt but nothing I've seen says at what age they start the molt?? Just wondering if my hens are okay.
Ducks have their first molt when they lose their baby feathers to grow adult ones (6-8 weeks). Your ducks should by okay! :thumbsup

One of my muscovy molted last December and is now molting again! Another had adult plumage when he came to me as a juvenile in January this year and is molting now. The third muscovy who is two and a half years old, molted from juvenile to adult in his first year and hasn't molted since! I think his feathers are stuck firmly on with 'cement' from muck and dribbled ducky soup debris as he refuses to bathe!!
They all molt when they need to on a variable schedule. Worry not if they are molting in relatively warm months. I don't like them molting in the winter, but some do

Back
Top Bottom