BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Anyone know where I can find a cold hardy white egg layer (brabanter, rose comb brown leghorn, etc), a BLRW and Welsummer (or decent quality Marans)? I can't find a hatchery with all 3 in sexed pullets. ARgh. I don't want to do two orders and hope they arrive at the same time.

So now I'm thinking about Welps, they have the biggest variety I've found. I'm so torn.... I want a brabanter from Ideal but think I'll settle for an Ancona (both white egg layers), some Wyandottes, EE's, and a Welsummer. I need really winter hardy breeds because I don't heat the coop but I also want a really pretty egg basket and nice hens. I'm a tough customer

As I said, let me know if you're ordering and want to beef up your order! I would probably add 5 chicks.
big_smile.png

Anyone in the Taunton Area have some fertilized eggs I can buy? I would like brown egg layers....RIR, Red stars, BR, Orphingtons, Wyandottes, or even Cochins or Silkies. I am making a wine cooler incubator and would like to try a hatch, but my girls will never have a rooster as my neighbors will KILL me haha. Thanks!

Yep, just put in my tentative order last night--you're psychic. I'm going to change it a bit, and can add anything you'd like.

From Ideal:
5 Cream Brabanters (white eggs) **This is what's holding up the order, will probably be late march**
5 Cuckoo Marans
10 Easter Eggers
5 GL (going to change to solid Buff, I think unless I can score Columbians) Wyandottes

I was thinking about white plymouth rocks as well
smile.png
All winter hardy and will lay a colorful egg basket.

LOL! I don't know about being psychic! Just still thinking about chickens! Are you keeping them all or will you have extras available? Did you/will you order all pullets?

I'm only keeping 5, so I'll have some of each available
smile.png
And yep, all pullets; I dealt with enough roosters last year. Of course the hatchery only promises 90% or so, but I'll take those odds. The brabanters are AWESOME, such cute hair. I went for hardy, large egg layers that'll make a wide egg color variety; hopefully all will work out. I think I'll have 6 or 7 chickens eventually, still hoping to find a blrw this spring to mix in with mine. I'll definately let you know when I get a ship date
smile.png

If you tweak your order, can you add in a Black Austrolorp and a Buff Orpington (pullets) for me? I would take the BO, the BA, a Cuckoo Maran and an EE. And if you end up getting Columbian Wyandottes, I'd take one of those, too...if not, then I'd probably take a Brabanter. I'd like to end up with 4-5 hens.
Keep me posted! (and let me know if you want money up front).
Are you on facebook, by any chance? I'm addicted to facebook, but I don't check BYC as often.
Thanks, Deanne!
cool.png

* Oh, crap...it just occurred to me that I have two out of state graduations this spring, and I wouldn't want to leave baby chicks with my pet sitters...don't order the extra BO and BA until I know what kind of shipping date you're looking at. I may just wait or pick from your extras!
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom