BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hello from Monson MA
Picking up chicks from in five days. Been ready for these girls for weeks. My husband built the coop which I think I'd sleep in and yesterday he was gilding the lily trimming out the coop and adding an automatic run door. To say the least we are excited.

Last edited:
Chickens are awesome! I haven't heard of Clark's farm before, so I'll check that out, because it would save the trip to NH to get chicks. Good luck, and they'll be a blast! :)

Last edited:
Hello, I just hatched three paint silkies and I think 2 are Roos.. Not sure yet.. Do you know of anyone that would like them? They are very sweet and are from show quality lines.. Obviously not guaranteeing that they are show quality.. One is very beautiful with a ton of paint the other is mostly white. Thank you!! I would love to keep them but I can't have Roos !!:(

Need to ask MA peeps.... I'm having hawk problem. This year is AWFUL!
I have chickens for over 4 years and lost 2 by hawk attack. That time, I wasn't with them and they are free ranged so kinda understand that's my fault.
This year, I lost 1 hen early spring and lost 6 chicks yesterday :(
They came down even we were in the yard!
One day, my husband was mowing and hawk flow front of him and went in the bush. (Then stuck between bush and fence. I had to rescue him and wish I didn't...)
The other day, we were in the backyard so as my neighbor but it landed on one of my hens. (She was safe BTW)
When I lost my hen, it wouldn't move from top of the hen. I almost punched him, that close.
Most of the time this year, when they came down, I could almost touch them.
Seems like bolder and bolder they are getting.
Is that only my area or all over the places??
My neighbor lost 70 chickens and he said he won't do free range anymore....

This is my first year keeping chickens and I'm pretty torn about free ranging. We have several red tailed hawks that live in our neighborhood (they are quite large!). I have 3 chickens (may add a bantam or 2 next spring) with a small coop (4x4) and a large run (12x8). At 11 weeks old, they are still way too small to free range with the amount of hawks flying around. If I do decide to free range them, it will only be for an hour or so a day, when I'm in the yard with them and when they are full size. Otherwise, I feel like it is just putting out easy food for the hawks.

I have a coop that leads into an enclosed run with wired sides and roof so no hawk can get in. We have hawks too so it's safer to have them in a run. We have 8 chicks right now, and 6 chickens. Here are pics :)
all of them are chicks there... No guinea pig hiding among the flock ;)

Back
Top Bottom