BYC members in Massachusetts?

This is the first year in quite some time I have not seen many hawks, or land predators for that matter. I do not free range as we border several hundred acres of conservation land. Unfortunately I am seeing the downside of the lack of predators- a large number of rodents. Crazy numbers of chipmunks, squirrels, groundhogs and especially rabbits. They have decimated my garden.

Hope this works! Trying to post a pic of my AWESOME run my sweetie is building

Buffy laid her first egg on her 4th month! What a good hen. We are at day three and there's been one per day :)

Hey Everybody! I am a new chicken owner in Springfield MA. When I say that to most of my friends they look at me like I am crazy. Who raises chickens in the middle of a city? This girl! I have 3 chickies living in my second bedroom right now which are one week old. They is an easter egger, a golden buff, and a black australop and one poor little one didn't make it. I converted my shed into a coop. It is nearly finished. I need to add a roosting bar, vents, and a coop door. Next weekend I am making those changes and creating a 16x8 walk in run. The company i ordered the chicks from offered to send me another chick and I wouldn't need to pay for shipping if i got an extra two for warmth. Needless to say, i am waiting on my 3 new chicks to hatch and arrive at my house. The youngest will be another easter egger, a lavender orpington, and a welsummer. I cant wait for my ladies to meet and go live out in the coop. That bedroom is starting to smell like a barn.

All in all, I am very excited to start this adventure.

The doors were made out of old chairs and the nesting box is made out of an old TV armiore which had the bottom cut off and dividers inserted.

Easter Egger
Golden Buff
My black australop
This little chick didnt make it. :(

Buffy laid her first egg on her 4th month! What a good hen. We are at day three and there's been one per day :)
Buffy seems super sweet, is she friendly? Also what breed is she, a golden comet?
Hey Everybody! I am a new chicken owner in Springfield MA. When I say that to most of my friends they look at me like I am crazy. Who raises chickens in the middle of a city? This girl! I have 3 chickies living in my second bedroom right now which are one week old. They is an easter egger, a golden buff, and a black australop and one poor little one didn't make it. I converted my shed into a coop. It is nearly finished. I need to add a roosting bar, vents, and a coop door. Next weekend I am making those changes and creating a 16x8 walk in run. The company i ordered the chicks from offered to send me another chick and I wouldn't need to pay for shipping if i got an extra two for warmth. Needless to say, i am waiting on my 3 new chicks to hatch and arrive at my house. The youngest will be another easter egger, a lavender orpington, and a welsummer. I cant wait for my ladies to meet and go live out in the coop. That bedroom is starting to smell like a barn. All in all, I am very excited to start this adventure. The doors were made out of old chairs and the nesting box is made out of an old TV armiore which had the bottom cut off and dividers inserted. Easter Egger Golden Buff My black australop This little chick didnt make it. :(
super cute chicks! Sorry one of them didn't make it :(, but hopefully you will receive your new ones soon! I just got 8 chicks in the mail about a week ago, all alive (see the last page of this post for a couple pics) welcome to BYC and the chicken community! :D

I am out in farming country and have noticed fewer hawks this year, don't mean there are none but I don't see as many when I am out on a tractor working hay. Vultures all over the place and coyotes are plentiful and I think there is a bobcat or two around. I did have a hen get hit by a hawk last Spring right in the pen and beat up pretty good. After a long rehab in the house she is back out but still has to be separate from the others who seem to have taken a strong dislike to her.

Anyone know of any lavender orp breeders or fertile eggs in western ma? My friend just lost her lavender orp and that was her favorite hen. I was hoping to find her another hen as she was laying on a clutch of 7 fertilized eggs when we lost her and she was the only broody in the coop

Anyone know of any lavender orp breeders or fertile eggs in western ma? My friend just lost her lavender orp and that was her favorite hen. I was hoping to find her another hen as she was laying on a clutch of 7 fertilized eggs when we lost her and she was the only broody in the coop
You could try transferring the eggs to an incubator,
And if you don't have one you can pick one up at your farm store. I recommend the hova bator incubators. Good luck :)

We have two broody hens right now and would be happy to put the lab orps under them and into their clutch if you'd like us to. They were each sitting on close to 2 dozen eggs but we candled last night and now have them on much more reasonable volume so there is room for the orps if you'd prefer a foster hen to an incubator.

Hi everyone! I'm in need of some help. I have a very handsome 8 week old Dominique cockerel who needs a new home. We were told he was a pullet when we got him as a chick, but I knew as soon as I saw his markings that he wasn't. We have close neighbors so as much as I would love to keep him, we just can't. I cannot find anyone locally who is interested in him. Is there anyone in MA who is willing to take him? I'm willing to drive a fair distance to ensure him a good home. We are located in Kingston, which is about 30 minutes south of Boston heading towards the Cape.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom