BYC members in Massachusetts?

I ordered from My Pet Chicken, but they shipped from Meyer.  I got the shipping confirmation email Monday around 1:00 and they arrived at my post office at 7:30 am yesterday (Wednesday).  I stopped by the post office to let them know they were coming and they called me as soon as they arrived.  The post office wasn't open but they let me in to get them.  All 15 arrived safely and other than a little pasty but, everyone is doing well so far!  

Congratulations on the new chicks! It's comforting to hear that your babies arrived safely, I have an order arriving next week, I ordered three Pullets. Meyer doesn't throw in "packing peanuts", right?

Congratulations on the new chicks! It's comforting to hear that your babies arrived safely, I have an order arriving next week, I ordered three Pullets. Meyer doesn't throw in "packing peanuts", right?

No packing peanuts, and they added a heat pack (which I wasn't charged for). I was so nervous about getting shipped chicks but I wanted some different color orpingtons, which I can't get at my local feed stores, and
my daughter really wanted a Cochin. So far I'm very happy and would order from them again!

Hi everyone. I'm in Taunton. This will be my first year with chickens. I've got the coop..All the accessories..now I just need to find my pullets. Can anyone suggest a good place? I'm only looking for 3. White, Brown and red (I had these as a kid..so I like the memories) ThAnk you

Hi and Welcome!

I'm new to chicken keeping too (still in my first year) and in the Sturbridge area.

I know MA laws require a minimum purchase of 6 chicks if you get them from a retail/grain store. I've heard good things about Dodge Grain in NH, but don't know about a minimum purchase requirement there. Another option is to search this site or Craigslist for a local seller. I would just be careful to check out their location to make sure it's safe, clean, etc. This site has been a wonderful resource for me and the people on it are always welcome to help out! Have fun!

Last edited:
There are a few Facebook groups that have members who sell/trade/etc. chickens, chicks, pullets, roosters, supplies:
Southeastern Massachusetts Homesteaders
Mass Poultry Swap & Chat

Also, I've got a contact with a guy out in Rochester, MA who we got our pullets from last summer. Nice guy, great birds! PM me for his contact info. He had lots of different breeds, and the pricing was very reasonable.

Hi and Welcome!

I'm new to chicken keeping too (still in my first year) and in the Sturbridge area.

I know MA laws require a minimum purchase of 6 chicks if you get them from a retail/grain store. I've heard good things about Dodge Grain in NH, but don't know about a minimum purchase requirement there. Another option is to search this site or Craigslist for a local seller. I would just be careful to check out their location to make sure it's safe, clean, etc. This site has been a wonderful resource for me and the people on it are always welcome to help out! Have fun!

Dodge Grain has no minimum.

Back
Top Bottom