BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hey Massachusetts chicken keepers! I’m a graduate student at the Tufts veterinary school and am doing research on backyard chickens. I’m reaching out to you to check out my Hen Quest survey at http://tinyurl.com/HenQuest. This is strictly academic research, not an ad or a promotional gimmick, I promise!

You can help us learn about backyard chickens by taking this survey or sharing the link with other Massachusetts chicken folks!

I can only post this one time, so a big Thank You in advance for those who participate!

More info below:
Hen Quest
A survey for Massachusetts backyard chicken owners​

Hen Quest is an anonymous online survey created by a graduate student at the Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. The purpose of this study is to learn about backyard chicken keepers, their experiences as flock owners and their experiences with urban/suburban wildlife.

Benefits of the study:
There is currently no data on backyard chickens in Massachusetts. We hope that through your participation, researchers and veterinarians will learn more about the backyard chicken community in our state.
Eligibility:
This study is open to all Massachusetts chicken owners age 18 and over that have small, privately owned, non-commercial flocks. Flock size is limited to between 1 and 50 birds.
About the survey:
This anonymous survey takes about 15 minutes to complete. You can access the survey online at http://tinyurl.com/HenQuest. It is also mobile-friendly.

All participants may voluntarily enter a drawing to win a $50 American Express gift card.
The drawing for the gift card will take place on August 31, 2015.

Just hatched my first batch of chicks. Pics are up in the Pictures and Stories forum. I have 6 so far with another hopefully o the way but it's malpositioned. Hoping for the best. Didn't expect the first set to hatch. The roosters were born in March. Plus I had the eggs sitting inside for 10 days. 7 out of 12 aren't bad odds for the first time. My second 2 dozen are due around the 23rd. 1 dozen leghorn mix and 1 dozen brown mix. I have 2 Plymouth Rock roosters and a gorgeous (biased) RI red (I think). Possibly NH red. I know I have 7 leghorns, 6 production hens, 4 or 5 orpys, and I think a gold laced wyandotte. Of course I could be way off base with the breeds. Anywhere from 5 months to 4 years old. Now I need to figure out who's laying and who isn't. But I don't have the stomach to "retire" the non-layers. But I also don't want to keep spending money on the feed. I was raised that you earn your keep. I've become a little attached to the girls. So I'm tossed. This hobby has really helped me to come out of my depression. I actually have something I get excited about, besides my family (although I haven't really shown them in about 3 years).

I'm new to keeping chickens. I'm so worried about keeping water from freezing in their coop. Is there a prefered method to keeping water from freezing in mass.Also I plan to travel and want to know if I can leave them for a few days .
Also if my run is secure can I leave the pop door open at night?

I'm new to keeping chickens. I'm so worried about keeping water from freezing in their coop. Is there a prefered method to keeping water from freezing in mass.Also I plan to travel and want to know if I can leave them for a few days .
I use one of these to keep the water from freezing.

http://www.eggcartons.com/Electric-Water-Heater-Base-p/hb125.htm

How sure are you that your run is secure?

I use a heated dog water bowl - worked great last winter. I did place a half full gallon jug in the center so the girls would not perch on the side of the bowl and tip it over.
7163.jpg

I close my pop door only in the winter but my run is VERY secure. I wouldn't if I didn't trust it.

Back
Top Bottom