BYC members in Massachusetts?

<<I had a question. I was researching options for bedding for my chickens and i wanted to get opinion on what people use. I want a good option for the ladies that won't stink and good option for summer and winter.>>

I'm new to this, but have been doing pine shavings, and am happy with it so far. Just two weeks in, but pine smell rather than manure.

Do you have contact info??

I bought thru mail order and I don't think they would take it back
sad.png
I sent you a PM with the info. The vast majority of places will not take birds back, primarily for biosecurity reasons.

Hello everyone! I'm another brand new chicken owner in Mass up near Essex. I'm getting my first chicks in a month, they're sexed females but I understand that there's still a 10% chance of getting a rooster. Has anyone here in Mass had any experience rehoming surprise roosters? I'm hoping I'll get lucky with all hens, but I want to start thinking about a backup plan if it doesn't work out that way. Nice to hear from other chicken owners in Massachusetts!
Welcome to the group! I have a Production Red rooster (hatchery quality RIR) that was supposed to be a girl. We tried to find him a good home but we love him now, so it looks like he may stay. Are you allowed roosters where you live?

Welcome to the group! I have a Production Red rooster (hatchery quality RIR) that was supposed to be a girl. We tried to find him a good home but we love him now, so it looks like he may stay. Are you allowed roosters where you live?

Hello and thanks for the advice, your rooster is very handsome and I can see why you're fond of him! I'm not 100% sure whether roosters are allowed in my area, I think rules about chickens in my district are kept intentionally vague, but I have neighbors that are close enough that they probably wouldn't appreciate the crowing.

I had a question. I was researching options for bedding for my chickens and i wanted to get opinion on what people use. I want a good option for the ladies that won't stink and good option for summer and winter.
We use pine shavings. They ended up being the cheapest and easiest to clean. We don't use water in the coop unless it's an emergency and in a crate, so they don't get smelly. We also clean the poop boards everyday. I also don't recommend hay because it can get moldy or straw because it is hard to clean up. Just my personal opinion.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom