BYC members in Massachusetts?

Might be a good idea to do a necropsy. Older hens can have a problem when they start laying again. I had a hen acting very similar to what you describe. I was feeling so guilty I wasnt able to help her, until I did the necropsy. I found out that she was backed up from egg production with the entire egg track filled with a scrambled egg like material. Once I determined the cause of death and realized there was nothing more I could have done to help her my conscience was clear and I was able to make homemade chicken and rice dog food.
In the past I would just bury any chicken that died of unknown causes and spend the next couple of weeks wondering, as you are, if everyone else would be ok. Since then I have found that I can usually figure out the cause of death and learn something from it. The biggest benefit is that it cuts down on the anxiety and guilt of wondering. Why?

How did you come to learn how to do a necropsy? Are you in the medical field? I wouldn't even know where to start or what tools I would need... I'd love to hear more. (Hope that doesn't sound creepy, but I lost a hen a few months ago and I have no idea why. If I knew how, I would try to examine the body to glean whatever knowledge I could from a sad event.)

Yeah, I'm finding that raising chickens is forcing me to deal with loss. Probably not a bad thing since I tend to be sensitive and will have to deal with losing birds from time to time.

How did you come to learn how to do a necropsy? Are you in the medical field? I wouldn't even know where to start or what tools I would need... I'd love to hear more. (Hope that doesn't sound creepy, but I lost a hen a few months ago and I have no idea why. If I knew how, I would try to examine the body to glean whatever knowledge I could from a sad event.)
I learned how to process a chicken from a friend who grew up with chickens but I am sure there are some good videos on youtube. It is deffinitely a case of practice makes perfect. A necropsy is basically the same thing. I place the carcass in a bucket and pour boiling water over it to make it easier to pluck the feathers then use a sharp knife to dismember the body and remove the internal organs. I would normally discard the offal but in this case I go over them carefully, You can learn a lot from cutting open the intestines and gizzard to look at the contents etc... The first time may be difficult but it gets easier as you both learn how to do it better and feel better about cutting up little 'Buffy" the chick you hatched and raised in an aquarium in the living room....

Yeah, I'm finding that raising chickens is forcing me to deal with loss. Probably not a bad thing since I tend to be sensitive and will have to deal with losing birds from time to time.
You can say that again... Some cases are more difficult than others, like when you introduce new chickens into a pen and they are getting bullied, or worse yet one is killed by the others. Then there is the day you realize that cute little chick has grown into an adult rooster and you have to decide which day will be his last, esp if he is just so tame, or is one of the low ranking bullied ones that comes to you for protection.

They have hardly any feathers right now. In a week or so I will transition them to a crate in the back where it gets cool but still inside and will obviously use a heat lamp. I do have 12 hens but was thinking of segregating them from the chicks once outside. Is that a good idea? My husband is going to build an addition to the coop for that purpose. Altogether I would have 14-16 growing chicks that will need to be transitioned to outside coop. Please help! Lol
barnie.gif
I'm getting a bit flustered. Thanks

I meant to respond to this yesterday, I apologize!

When we added new chicks to our existing adult flock last spring I was SUPER stressed out about how to go about it. The solution that we came up with worked beautifully, and I will definitely do it the same way moving forward.

My boyfriend built a small chicken tractor that went into the run. It was big enough to house the pullets, a food bowl, water bowl, and gave them enough room to walk around freely. As they weren't familiar with roosting yet, we just used a rubbermaid container with a half circle doorway cut out of it at night. It just gave them a place to sleep that was enclosed and out of the elements.

It worked great because the chicks were safe inside the predator proof run, and safe from the big girls in the run. All of the birds could see each other and get acclimated to the others, but the hens couldn't get pushy with the little ones. I'd say we kept the pullets in that setup for 10 days or so and then started opening up the tractor to the run so they could mingle.

Here's a pic of what he made. The Rubbermaid container isn't in there, but you get the idea. Hope this helps!

I meant to respond to this yesterday, I apologize!

When we added new chicks to our existing adult flock last spring I was SUPER stressed out about how to go about it. The solution that we came up with worked beautifully, and I will definitely do it the same way moving forward.

My boyfriend built a small chicken tractor that went into the run. It was big enough to house the pullets, a food bowl, water bowl, and gave them enough room to walk around freely. As they weren't familiar with roosting yet, we just used a rubbermaid container with a half circle doorway cut out of it at night. It just gave them a place to sleep that was enclosed and out of the elements.

It worked great because the chicks were safe inside the predator proof run, and safe from the big girls in the run. All of the birds could see each other and get acclimated to the others, but the hens couldn't get pushy with the little ones. I'd say we kept the pullets in that setup for 10 days or so and then started opening up the tractor to the run so they could mingle.

Here's a pic of what he made. The Rubbermaid container isn't in there, but you get the idea. Hope this helps!

Oh how cool. That is definitely an option. We were just going to divide up the run but this is super cute. My husband was talking about making a chicken tractor. I will show him this when he gets home from work. Thanks for sharing. I love the domed shape or what else would you call that. Anyway it's great. I love it
thumbsup.gif

Hello all -
I don't have any chickens yet, because I am trying to do as much research as possible first! I live in Millis (not too far from Mendon/ Millville, but closer to Franklin, Medway, Westwood).
For someone just starting out, what are people's thoughts on buying a coop - from some place like Tractor Supply - vs. building one?
I am also wondering about which breeds people recommend. I am looking for good layers, who are friendly and cold tolerant. My son is 4.5, so I want a breed (or breeds) that will tolerate - dare I say, enjoy - the company of a child.
I have read good things about Orpingtons, and I love the look of the Swedish Flower Hen. I also read an interesting article on the Basque and the Dominique - does anyone have experience with either of those? Recommendations for breeds that may better suit my needs?
I would love to be in touch with anyone nearby!
Thanks in advance :)

Hello all -
I don't have any chickens yet, because I am trying to do as much research as possible first! I live in Millis (not too far from Mendon/ Millville, but closer to Franklin, Medway, Westwood).
For someone just starting out, what are people's thoughts on buying a coop - from some place like Tractor Supply - vs. building one?
I am also wondering about which breeds people recommend. I am looking for good layers, who are friendly and cold tolerant. My son is 4.5, so I want a breed (or breeds) that will tolerate - dare I say, enjoy - the company of a child.
I have read good things about Orpingtons, and I love the look of the Swedish Flower Hen. I also read an interesting article on the Basque and the Dominique - does anyone have experience with either of those? Recommendations for breeds that may better suit my needs?
I would love to be in touch with anyone nearby!
Thanks in advance
smile.png
Hi As for the coop, I have experience with the ones from TS as well as building my own. My advice would depend on how many chickens you are looking to start with and how confident you are that this will be a lasting hobby. It might be good to start with a TS special so you can jump right in and get a taste. The warning is that keeping chickens can be addictive and find yourself always wanting more, especially when you start hatching your own chicks. The TS specials are usually small and can only hold a limited number of chickens, but could be used as an isolation pen or brooder pen later on if you get hooked. Another suggestion would be to convert a garden shed if you can get one cheap. The advantage is having more room for the hens to move around on those days you cant get out to let them out right away due to weather or life. There are all kinds of devices to help automatic doors
is one I would like to get myself. Good for when the kids dont want to go open or close the coop. Start with the basics and see where it takes you.
As for chicken breeds in my book you cant beat Easter Egger, Olive Egger crosses and or Ameraucanas. They are very calm, good layers, people love the colored eggs and their smaller combs make them more winter hardy. Neighbors also appreciate the softer more melodic crow of the roosters.
That said most chickens are hardy in our area. The only thing I would really avoid is breeds with larger combs. They are more prone to get frost bite during the winter, but still more of a concern for the roosters.
I have had extremely friendly chickens of many types with some great stories. (White Leghorn, Easter Egger, (Cream Legbar x Marans) ) Some I hatched some I purchased. Sometimes they are just curious and inquisitive, other times it is because they are lower ranking and look to you as a protector and provider. I have a Blue Copper Marans rooster right now who is so tame, I am just glad he is a keeper so I dont have to take him out. I think the best way to end up with friendly chickens is to handle them a lot as chicks and kids love to help.
If you ever decide to get ducks I recommend Welsh Harlequin ducks. very calm excellent layers sexable on hatch.

Welcome to chickens This is a great place to ask questions and get help when you need it.

Back
Top Bottom