BYC members in Massachusetts?

Anybody in the mood for chicks? I have 16 rare breed assorted females from Meyer Hatchery. They are two weeks old today and I need to sell off some. I have 2 lavender orpingtons, 2 olive eggers, one black Ameraucana, 5 cute Easter Eggers, a cuckoo Marans, and several others of which I haven’t identified breeds. They are all very sweet and have been hand raised. They haven’t been mingling with my flock, but I’m NPIP certified and can provide a copy of my certification. Let me know if you’re interested. I’m in Concord, MA. Thanks!

The pullets are 3.5 weeks old now. I still have Olive Eggers, lavender orpingtons, Blue Splash Marans, Easter Eggers, an Austra White and some others. Here are some pictures:

Olive Egger:

E56A81DD-74AE-463D-9B39-8A52BDAD945D.jpeg

Lavender Orpington:
5FE8E4BE-127F-424F-AB68-9BA6CE9AA338.jpeg

Easter Egger and Austra White:
C6D0C9B7-6A79-486C-B353-E5DF65BB60ED.jpeg

Not 100% sure on this one:
A37140F2-A53D-4C23-9676-3C773D57A100.jpeg

Attachments

• F1942D4A-C48A-4DFA-B8A8-3C88942BC7FF.jpeg
    F1942D4A-C48A-4DFA-B8A8-3C88942BC7FF.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 8E5FE390-35C8-46B8-BC85-B9592813D00A.jpeg
    8E5FE390-35C8-46B8-BC85-B9592813D00A.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 3
I have an overload of roosters and wanted let someone grab them if they want. I have quite a few so here is what I have

2 silver laced polish
2 black marans?
3 bantam red cochin
1 bantam black rooster
1 bantam red frizzled cochin
1 old English bantam
1 silver duckwing bantam?

I can get pictures of any of them you need.

Aloha! (I'm from Maynard but in Hawaii at the moment. )
Find out who your town's animal inspector is, and call them. They may want to inspect your coop annually.
You may be able to find your town bylaws online by googling. Some towns don't allow Roos, like Maynard, but sometimes if no one complains they don't enforce that rule.
I found my first 2 ducks on petfinder from the MSPCA. There's lots of homeless chickens who would love living in Wilmington!
Oh yeah and :welcome

DO NOT GET A ROO IF YOUR TOWN PROHIBITS THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People like this RUIN it for everyone else.
call the town hall and talk to the by laws person. Don't count on your AC person, some don't know diddly about the chicken laws

I totally agree @tigger19687. There are ordinances in place for a reason. Don't ruin a good thing for everyone else. The town I used to live in allowed chickens, actually hens only and one of my neighbors had them. I was OK with that since they had a large yard and the chickens had enough room to free range in their own yard. I think a rooster in that small neighborhood would have been a real pain. I waited to get chickens after I bought a house in a more rural "right to farm" community. Most of my neighbors are on half acre lots and a number of us have chickens including roosters. Our coops are inspected annually and we abide by the local ordinances so we can continue with our chosen lifestyle. If you've just got to have a rooster - move to where it's OK and you won't end up being THAT Neighbor!

Anyone know where I might get 2-3 Rhode Island Reds for spring?
Tractor Supply said they get “reds” but don’t know the breeds as they are mixed...‍???
I dont know where you are but twin cedar farm in Acushnet ma has gorgeous dark mahogany RI reds. They have a website and are sometimes on this page. I have a FCBM, cream legbar from them gorgeous. Never really wanted RI reds until I saw theirs. May be a few myself this spring. Hope this helps

New to the area, and thread, and looking to start raising some hens this year in Southborough. Anyone local and have any recommendations on coops and such, I am all ears. Currently thinking of starting with 3-4 hens and going from there. Thinking calm and more docile layers to start off, with the number of eggs not being as important, so feel free to provide feedback on breeds you currently work with (I have some ideas of what I'd like to start with). Thanks in advance for the feedback/help everyone.

New to the area, and thread, and looking to start raising some hens this year in Southborough. Anyone local and have any recommendations on coops and such, I am all ears. Currently thinking of starting with 3-4 hens and going from there. Thinking calm and more docile layers to start off, with the number of eggs not being as important, so feel free to provide feedback on breeds you currently work with (I have some ideas of what I'd like to start with). Thanks in advance for the feedback/help everyone.
Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us on he roost. This is a great place to learn and share. As to your question: Make sure you check with the local authorities in Southborough first if you haven't done so already. I used to live in Marlborough and you could have chickens there as long as you named them. Weird yes. I know Westborough allows chickens so you should be fine. As far as your chickens, I recommend cold hardy breeds such as RIR's, Barred Rocks or Leghorns. There is an abundance of information on this site regarding building your own coop and run. Don't fall for the prefab coops that are on sale both online and at the TSC. Many reports of cheap quality and absolute failure. The property I bought last year had two existing sheds on it. I converted one into a coop and built a 8 ft x 14 ft covered run. I still need to do some tweaking on it. Regardless if you have seen them or not there are plenty of predators in your area that would enjoy a free chicken dinner including Fisher cats, racoons, possums, skunks and bears. That's only the four legged ones. Good luck. One more thing. You don't need a rooster to get eggs.

Back
Top Bottom