BYC members in Massachusetts?

We have the clear wavy plastic panels covering half of our run and placed over the pop door like your sketch. We have shade from trees in the morning and made it through the hot humid summer just fine. Our panels are well supported and on an angle because I was worried about the weight of snow. Whatever doesn’t slide off I can easily remove with a snowbroom.

We have the clear wavy plastic panels covering half of our run and placed over the pop door like your sketch. We have shade from trees in the morning and made it through the hot humid summer just fine. Our panels are well supported and on an angle because I was worried about the weight of snow. Whatever doesn’t slide off I can easily remove with a snowbroom.
Yeah, the clear wavy plastic panels is exactly what I'm going to get, too. Glad to hear they worked well for you. The run will have a slanted top (wooden frame and welded wire) and the panels will be attached to the top. Hopefully the angle will be enough for the snow to slide, but if not, I have a roof rake to help it down.

Here's an overhead sketch of the whole chicken setup... The clear plastic panels are in purple, next to the coop, and the whole thing is in the shade directly under a full-size maple tree (the plastic panels will be for rain protection, not for shade). Hopefully that won't cook the chickens... right?

View attachment 1891070
I added one polycarbonate panel to the new run addition to allow for more sun in the winter. However, I opted for the slightly more expensive UV filtering type. My chickens avoided that part of the run only on hot, sunny days. I suspect they will bask in that area this winter. Your chickens will not stay under it for long if it's too uncomfortable. I would be more concerned with a wet/snowy/icy run in the winter. A 3 foot snow inside the run could be a big problem.

I would be more concerned with a wet/snowy/icy run in the winter. A 3 foot snow inside the run could be a big problem.
I'm going to cover the whole run with plastic (sheets) for the winter, greenhouse-style, so the chickens can have a protected outdoor area, and also so that I don't have to shovel their run :D The top of the run will be slanted to help snow slide down, and I have a roof rake to help it if it doesn't.

I'm going to cover the whole run with plastic (sheets) for the winter, greenhouse-style, so the chickens can have a protected outdoor area, and also so that I don't have to shovel their run :D The top of the run will be slanted to help snow slide down, and I have a roof rake to help it if it doesn't.
Make sure you leave space for ventilation in the run. I used clear, heavy duty shower curtains last year and they worked really well and I can use them again this winter. I ran clothesline rope through the grommets and they were very easy to hang.

Make sure you leave space for ventilation in the run. I used clear, heavy duty shower curtains last year and they worked really well and I can use them again this winter. I ran clothesline rope through the grommets and they were very easy to hang.
Yes, of course, there will be lots of ventilation. I've heard that it can turn into a wet shower in there without proper ventilation :lol: Speaking of showers, shower curtains are a good idea. I'll have to check prices... I'll need to cover quite a bit of area, so it might be cheaper to just get a roll of plastic... whatever they use for real greenhouses?

Yes, of course, there will be lots of ventilation. I've heard that it can turn into a wet shower in there without proper ventilation :lol: Speaking of showers, shower curtains are a good idea. I'll have to check prices... I'll need to cover quite a bit of area, so it might be cheaper to just get a roll of plastic... whatever they use for real greenhouses?
Look for sales. The shower curtains did cost a bit but they’re much sturdier than rolled plastic sheeting so they will last longer. Less expensive in the long run. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom