BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
Quote:
Definitely don't let them out. The could very easily get swept away with those wind speeds. Either keep them in the coop until the storm passes or bring them in the garage/basement or house if you have a way to do that.

This looks like it's going to be bad news before all is said and done.
Stay safe.

Quote:
Definitely don't let them out. The could very easily get swept away with those wind speeds. Either keep them in the coop until the storm passes or bring them in the garage/basement or house if you have a way to do that.

Stay safe.

Thanks! I have 2 little ones (10weeks old) and I could bring them in but not 5 big ones....
I feel bad if I only bring little one in the house and not big ones.
Should I leave all in the coop??
This is my first hurricane experience with chickens and don't know what to do!!

Quote:

Stay safe.

Thanks! I have 2 little ones (10weeks old) and I could bring them in but not 5 big ones....
I feel bad if I only bring little one in the house and not big ones.
Should I leave all in the coop??
This is my first hurricane experience with chickens and don't know what to do!!

I would bring them ALL inside. Even if you have to put them in big cardboard boxes two-by-two, it's only for a day. Unless you're willing to risk the worst case scenario, that's the best course of action. This is not going to be your basic nor'easter.

Some of the kids asked if we were going to bring the Chickens into the basement for the storm:lau Yea right all sixty six of them. Yesterday was defiantly a family workday. We finished trenching around the coop/barn and laid forty plus feet of drainage pipe. late yesterday after the heavy rain, and in some cases during it, I dug a secondary trench. When I ventured outside this morning I was very happy we had done both! Our coop is located on the down hill side of the property which is currently a very good thing as it is shedding these wind gusts very well. I was worried because I used Ondura corrugated roof panels over strapping but knock on wood the roof is holding!

I agree with everyone who said not to let your birds out. At this point it is pretty obvious even here in North Central Massachusetts that letting the birds outside would do nothing but cause a Wizard of OZ type scene with chickens flying faster and further than the good Lord ever meant:rolleyes: We just finished getting our "phase 1" run up yesterday and we let the "kids" run around for the first time. Thirty two feet long and twenty feet wide, and eight feet tall in this section. With all that almost everyone stayed within 10 feet of the chicken door. Funny part is when all of the people left the run to work on other things all of the chickens ran back inside. When we returned to the pen they came poring back out except fort a few who decided that that was a great time to stake our there favorite floor or roosting spot.

We are using the deep litter method and so far with the exception of one small corner ( I must have a leak somewhere) everything is bone dry inside. Those references to the Hurricane of 38 really had me spooked. That was back in my Grandfathers day but he told me we lost two barns on this same property in that storm. I hope everyone fares well during this small blow. We are very fortunate that Irene has burned out most of her power between North Carolina and here.

All the best

Ours wouldn't go inside their coop. We tied the (portable) coop down, so it's fairly sheltered. We put their food and all inside, but still they wanted to crouch under the ramp and look miserable and wet. So recently when it got really horribly rainy and windy DH went out and just put them in their little house. The cats are also unhappy about being locked inside the house. Why do all the animals want to be outside in a hurricane??

(they have an enclosed house/coop and a wired run)

All of my babies fared well through the storm. We got water in the cellar, and our sump pump burned out, so I went out to Lowes to get a new one.
On the way home, a tree fell in the road RIGHT in front of my car, bounced up, taking the front of my car with it.
A nice man stopped and moved one of the branches so I could open my door. (after about four other cars turned around without stopping)
I called my mom to come get the pump and bring it home to my husband who was battling the water with a shop vac.

Darn, sorry to hear that happend!
All our birds were OK, we did lose an apple tree (its a good sized tree, too), and some branches, lost power (still don't have it), but other than that we're good here.
Mitch

Last edited:
I'm in the Metro NW area and looking for Welsummer or Black Copper Marans pullets. Does anyone know of any for sale? TIA

Back
Top Bottom