BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
Quote: Can you find out why your neighbors object? THey may be misinformed. Chickens are quieter than dogs--especially the hens. Yes the rooster cockadoodle do and since that can happen any hour of the day or night, roosters would not be suitable for the close proximity to your neighbors.

Emily rooney did a peice that was aired this spring about chickens in BOston. Many supporters of chickens including the Mayor for some areas of Boston.

Some people can have chickens under the pet laws of the town as well.

I hope you will try to change or alter the laws of your area. If you can have a few hens, perhaps sharing eggs with the neighbors will show them the value of home grown eggs and the fun, entertainment and great value these creatures have.

I live on 15 acres in a farming area. SO I can enjoy many animals. Hope you will find a way to keep the chickens.

Hi I live in Taunton Massachusetts I will be relocating soon and cant take the chicken's and rabbits with me . I have 4 older birds laying daily and 24 younger birds that should start laying in July or August . I have one mystery chick not sure if it male or female?

As far as the rabbits go there American chinchilla rabbits and some mix breeds . Great meat rabbits or could be for pets but got too many.There are 4 bucks and 13 females There is also some babies too . It brakes my heart to do this . I would like to find them a good home if there is any interest please let me know.

Hello Everyone
frow.gif

We hatched out some eggs recently and we came up with 2 roos. Any takers on a LF blue cochin or an Easter Egger. The cochin is adorable with his beautiful pantaloons. I just can't keep them with the neighbors so close. They are about 4 weeks old and broody raise so used to living outside and already know how to forage. Nobody has crowed yet but we hatched 2 of each and you can tell which ones are the boys. I will try to post pics this afternoon. The eggs came from red roof hens aka ilovefrizzles on byc.

I'm going off island on Saturday, so would be willing to meet anyone in South Eastern Ma. They would be free to a good home. Trying to find something other than a pot for them. A girl can always try.

K

Hi,

Does anyone here in Mass have Silkie hens for sale? We're looking for 3 or 4 hens, 3-4 months old to replenish our little flock. FOXES!!! We live on the Cape and wouldn't mind a little road trip....

Thanks,

Bob

We are in Marshfield . . .
frow.gif
Our coop is almost done
yippiechickie.gif
. . . neither my husband or I is much of a builder or designer, so this has taken a while - longer than I thought it would. I've finally decided, in the best interest of the chckens who will be involved, since I am a total chicken rookie, that we should get 3 or 4 month old pullets (is that the right word?) instead of newborn chicks. If anyone in the area has 3 or 4 Rhode Island Reds or Barred Plymouth Rocks, we'll be interested very soon! I'm open to any breed, really - we just want a breed that are good layers, and who are sturdy.
smile.png

On another note, hubby & I are really struggling to puzzle through the next couple of parts of our coop build. Feel free to chime in with any suggestions, since we really have no idea what we're doing.

First - I bought 2 wooden nexting boxes at the TSC in Plympton - the ones made by Ware. We are planning on mounting them on the outside of the coop, to save on floor space inside. Do we build a shelf to attach them too? Should they have exterior walls other than what's already part of the nesting box? Should we insulate them? Should we insulate the coop, for that matter? We plan on having the top of the nesting boxes lift up, so we can lift it up to collect the eggs.

Second - roofing rafters. The frame for the coop/run is 7 feet high in the back, 6 feet in the front. We plan on putting rafters on top of the frame, then using plywood on top of those for the roof. What is the easiest way to attach the rafters (2x4s with the 2 inch end up) on top of the frame (2x4s again, with the 4 inch end up)? (Like an upside down T) Bear in mind, we really are not builders . . .

Third (and last) - what is the easiest way to construct a simple wooden screen door? I know they have $19 at Home Depot, but they are too tall. Our door, to the run, can only be 6 feet tall because of the frame. We are using hardware cloth for the screening in the run, so we may as well use that for the door, too.

Well, that's it for now . . . I'm excited about having chickens! Can't wait to get them!!! Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone may have regarding our coop build!

NancyB

Hi Nancy,

3-4 month old pullets are a premium--be patient. Or be willing to get chicks, or 2 month olds.

Roof rafters. yes, for a 2x4 put the short end down, Nail 2 16 penny nails into each side. Use the toe nailing technique. Put the 2x4 16" apart, or 14". This assumes a slope to the roof to encourage snow load to dump off. ALso for best fit of the 2x4 to sit on the wall, the 2x4 needs a birds mouth cut. This enables the 2x4 to sit flat on the walls and prvides the location for toe nailing. I know DH sets another 16 penny nail thru the top of the 2x4 at the thinnest area, nearest the outside side of the wall for the lower wall and also for the other end. That is 5 nails per end of a 2x4. THis is snow country. 1/2 -5/8 on the plywood per DH. ANd sink nails every 6 inches. REALLY.

wooden door--we use some plywood, not all screen or mesh, to increase strength of the door. We use a crude method using scrap wood. Cut matching top and bottom. Cut matching sides. Lay on ground. Recheck width and height. Cut 4 triangles, one for each corner. screw one on each corner. TUrn over. Fit mesh on top or bottom, over laping the wood. Lay strapping over edge of mesh, sandwiching the mesh, and screw together. Angle the screw if needed so sharp point doesn't go thru other side. COver, side, top, side. LEave bottom uncovered. Cut plywood to fit, make it high enough to cover that last uncovered edge of mesh. Screw in place. TUrn over. Cut a peice of strapping to cover last raw edge of mesh. Hang with hinges.ANd put on a lock. PM me if you have questions.

I don't insulate, some roosters with single combs lost tips. All hens were fine. I don't insulate ; it's a place for mice to nest IMO. Protect from winds. Plenty of air flow thru in summers and ability to close up a bit in the winter.

Good luck.

Hi Arielle -

Thanks very much for your response - that's the best description of putting on roof rafters that I've seen yet! When we are ready to do the roof, I'll print that out, so we can follow your directions carefully.
smile.png

I'm flexible about the age of the chicks . . . I'm aiming for young enough to have them be as friendly and social as possible, but old enough to lay before winter starts. I think that gives us a little wiggle room . . . I'll be ready to get the chicks as soon as the coop is done, which (I hope) won't be much longer . . .

Thanks for the suggestions about the door, too - you're describing pretty much what I was trying to figure out!

And thanks for the advice about insulating . . . no, we don't want to have any mousies around, so we'll skip that part!
tongue.png

Thanks again -

NancyB

You're welcome! Good luck!!

PS. I have some 2-3 month old green and blue layers if you can't find what you want closer to you. I have enough buff orpingtons to give up a couple, if you are interested. Hope you find the birds you are looking for. GL

PSS. We built our own house, and DH helped build his mothers house and his brother's house, too. I hammered until my hands blittered and bled, then BIL pulled out the nailing gun!!! LOL the bum!

Last edited:
You're welcome! Good luck!!

PS. I have some 2-3 month old green and blue layers if you can't find what you want closer to you. I have enough buff orpingtons to give up a couple, if you are interested. Hope you find the birds you are looking for. GL

PSS. We built our own house, and DH helped build his mothers house and his brother's house, too. I hammered until my hands blittered and bled, then BIL pulled out the nailing gun!!! LOL the bum!
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom