BYC Poo Page - Warning, Pictures

If she's a chicken probably no need to treat for blackhead (sorry, I thought or a moment I was in the peafowl forum).

-Kathy

I have what I believe to be an internal layer with a possible infection. I'd like to help her if at all possible, so any and all thoughts/advice/ideas are welcome. Here's the situation:
I have a SS pullet named Peck who was bought from a local NPIP breeder as a day old chick around Easter of this year. She started to lay recently, (for about a month now), but has only laid broken, soft shelled eggs. She free ranges in our fenced in backyard with our two other chickens and we have her on layer crumble with free choice oyster shell. She also started having clear, runny poop with what looks like mucus and feels like she is losing weight. She wouldn't eat the oyster shell, so we have been giving her scrambled eggs with crushed egg shell and yogurt, which she eats. Also, have been adding Sav-a-chick and Rooster Booster to their water, which I completely change out every single day. We treated the whole flock (3) with corrid, dusted with Seven dust and wormed with Safeguard. No improvement at all. The other chickens have not had any issues or symptoms of any kind, and there were no other chickens on or around the property before these ladies got here. Possibly unrelated, but she also has a slight limp that has been going on for months too. There is no bumblefoot, or injuries that we can see, but because there were no other symptoms in her, or the others, we assumed she had jumped off the roost wrong (which was too high and we fixed that). So, after the basic "fixes" failed and she seemed to be getting slowly worse, we got injectable Penicillin. (I am currently looking for a vet to do a fecal float test, but have been turned away by my regular vet) The morning after the first injection, she had the first solid, normal looking poop I've seen probably in about a month. Last night was the second injection and today, her limp is gone... She has been very vocal today and squatted again for the first time in a long time as well. What is going on?! If the anti-biotic didn't work, we were going to try to go the fungal route, but this seems to be working. I am still looking for a vet, bc I really don't like not knowing what I'm dealing with. Whatever it is, it's very slow moving and isn't affecting the other chickens. I'm going to edit add the pictures in just a minute. Thank you for reading!

Here's the one of the "eggs" we got from her

Here's a couple of the poops she was having for over a month with increasing frequency. The last couple days before the injections, it was only these watery clear droppings.

And the morning after the first injection, a dramatic difference

She looks healthy otherwise. Her vent has been a little dirty, but I think it's egg yolk.

Last edited:
So, update on Peck... Last night was the third penicillin injection. Still not quite sure what's going on, but her droppings have been normal and today she laid an egg! A real egg!

So, update on Peck... Last night was the third penicillin injection. Still not quite sure what's going on, but her droppings have been normal and today she laid an egg! A real egg!
The very second photo in your first post looks somewhat like I have seen with an internal layer. With you hen's history of laying broken eggs, I would say that egg peritonitis is pretty sure. You may want to order some enrofloxacin online to treat her if she doesn't respond, since it is better than penicillin. With EYP and internal laying treatment is just a way to extend life, but won't cure the problem. Here is a thread on where to purchase the enrofloxacin: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources

Last edited:
I have what I believe to be an internal layer with a possible infection. I'd like to help her if at all possible, so any and all thoughts/advice/ideas are welcome. Here's the situation:
I have a SS pullet named Peck who was bought from a local NPIP breeder as a day old chick around Easter of this year. She started to lay recently, (for about a month now), but has only laid broken, soft shelled eggs. She free ranges in our fenced in backyard with our two other chickens and we have her on layer crumble with free choice oyster shell. She also started having clear, runny poop with what looks like mucus and feels like she is losing weight. She wouldn't eat the oyster shell, so we have been giving her scrambled eggs with crushed egg shell and yogurt, which she eats. Also, have been adding Sav-a-chick and Rooster Booster to their water, which I completely change out every single day. We treated the whole flock (3) with corrid, dusted with Seven dust and wormed with Safeguard. No improvement at all. The other chickens have not had any issues or symptoms of any kind, and there were no other chickens on or around the property before these ladies got here. Possibly unrelated, but she also has a slight limp that has been going on for months too. There is no bumblefoot, or injuries that we can see, but because there were no other symptoms in her, or the others, we assumed she had jumped off the roost wrong (which was too high and we fixed that). So, after the basic "fixes" failed and she seemed to be getting slowly worse, we got injectable Penicillin. (I am currently looking for a vet to do a fecal float test, but have been turned away by my regular vet) The morning after the first injection, she had the first solid, normal looking poop I've seen probably in about a month. Last night was the second injection and today, her limp is gone... She has been very vocal today and squatted again for the first time in a long time as well. What is going on?! If the anti-biotic didn't work, we were going to try to go the fungal route, but this seems to be working. I am still looking for a vet, bc I really don't like not knowing what I'm dealing with. Whatever it is, it's very slow moving and isn't affecting the other chickens. I'm going to edit add the pictures in just a minute. Thank you for reading!

Here's the one of the "eggs" we got from her

Here's a couple of the poops she was having for over a month with increasing frequency. The last couple days before the injections, it was only these watery clear droppings.

And the morning after the first injection, a dramatic difference

She looks healthy otherwise. Her vent has been a little dirty, but I think it's egg yolk.

when my flock had IB 2 of my hens layed a couple of soft shells like in your pic. I gave them calcium supplement and after a while they got better.

The very second photo in your first post looks somewhat like I have seen with an internal layer. With you hen's history of laying broken eggs, I would say that egg peritonitis is pretty sure. You may want to order some enrofloxacin online to treat her if she doesn't respond, since it is better than penicillin. With EYP and internal laying treatment is just a way to extend life, but won't cure the problem. Here is a thread on where to purchase the enrofloxacin:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources

Thank you so much for the link. I'll definitely get some to have on hand. Can internal layers sometimes lay normal eggs? Im happy she's getting better for now, but her being an internal layer is pretty disappointing. In the SS thread, they said she had excellent color and type and I was contemplating looking for a quality SS roo to breed her.

Back
Top Bottom