Cackle Hatchery or Mt Healthy ?

Hello, I know this is an older thread, but I was just looking at Mt Healthy for Buckeyes https://www.mthealthy.com/birds/buckeye and Buff Orpingtons https://www.mthealthy.com/birds/buff-orpington , and they listed 3 minimum for each breed. There's a link to "conditions" where it seems you have to order three of each breed at a minimum. But they also write on each chick page "Chickens require a minimum quantity of 3 to ship, you may mix breeds of the same species." So the terms "species" and "breed" are critical, meaning chickens versus ducks as species? I am slow on the uptake here. Sounds like I can get 3-4 chickens of different breeds?
I am happy that they have Buckeyes and these Orps available and could ship together in June. I only wanted max four more chickens (I have four Buckeyes right now).
https://dl.airtable.com/.attachments/8bd39c005473ac2086fac095598f5906/da3cb3c5/HatcheryPolicies.pdf
Yes, you can get 4 different breeds if you want 4 chicks. Species means ducks vs chickens etc. My order of 12 chicks coming this year has 9 different breeds! 😊

I would order quickly, it looks like they have 3 dates in June that have those breeds both available!

Yes, you can get 4 different breeds if you want 4 chicks. Species means ducks vs chickens etc. My order of 12 chicks coming this year has 9 different breeds! 😊

I would order quickly, it looks like they have 3 dates in June that have those breeds both available!
Yes, but I can also wait until next year. It's a little complicated. If you have any thoughts I'd like to hear them. If you care to read this, here's my situation -

First, my four Buckeyes are a pretty happy cohesive bunch right now. They are all the same age, going to be 3 years old in July. I don't think adding chicks, who will all be lower in the pecking order, would be too disruptive in itself. I tend to think/suspect from other's experience that adding chickens in brooded pairs tends to work best in small flocks, so they each can find a bestie. So I wouldn't hesitate to add two. But with the hatchery minimums of three that means getting four chicks.

The problem is the coop is small. It is an Omlet, strictly a sleeping & nestbox coop (the nestbox can be a sleeping area - lately two ladies have been starting the evening in there anyway). The coop side really sleeps 6 large fowl hens (considering the summer heat. 8 would be bunched but okay in the winter). Possibly I could go the summer and through the following winter with 8 in there because the pullets will take time to reach full size. But there could be a lot of drama at roosting time as everyone finds their place. So I'm wondering if another coop sharing the run might be best.

(PS The winter enclosed run is big enough (135 sq ft) and I can make it bigger; the summer netted areas plus sheltered run area is roughly 2400 sq ft total).

Yes, but I can also wait until next year. It's a little complicated. If you have any thoughts I'd like to hear them. If you care to read this, here's my situation -

First, my four Buckeyes are a pretty happy cohesive bunch right now. They are all the same age, going to be 3 years old in July. I don't think adding chicks, who will all be lower in the pecking order, would be too disruptive in itself. I tend to think/suspect from other's experience that adding chickens in brooded pairs tends to work best in small flocks, so they each can find a bestie. So I wouldn't hesitate to add two. But with the hatchery minimums of three that means getting four chicks.

The problem is the coop is small. It is an Omlet, strictly a sleeping & nestbox coop (the nestbox can be a sleeping area - lately two ladies have been starting the evening in there anyway). The coop side really sleeps 6 large fowl hens (considering the summer heat. 8 would be bunched but okay in the winter). Possibly I could go the summer and through the following winter with 8 in there because the pullets will take time to reach full size. But there could be a lot of drama at roosting time as everyone finds their place. So I'm wondering if another coop sharing the run might be best.

(PS The winter enclosed run is big enough (135 sq ft) and I can make it bigger; the summer netted areas plus sheltered run area is roughly 2400 sq ft total).
If you could get another small coop and let them share the run, that would probably be best. They may eventually decide to share one, but integrating in that small a space for sleeping could be an issue.

Put your self on the list and they will contact you on hatch dates two weeks ago no silkies but a week later told they will be hatching on the 24th which is Monday next week. Love cackle hatchery their Salmon Faverolle are some of the best I have found

Back
Top Bottom