Cackle Hatchery reviews

@HenX I'm expecting a shipment next week and now I'm worried. Do you mind my asking where you are located? I'm in Florida and I worry about the shipping time and heat.
I'm in Wisconsin and I should have listened to that little gut feeling that the shipment wouldn't go well. Although I'm wondering about and underlying condition as well because some of them have unusual neck movements. I ordered from Meyer in March (colder) several years ago and had success, and the delivery wasn't any faster. I hope your delivery goes well and that I am the exception to their business.

I just received my order from Cackle Hatchery this morning and lost 13 out of 27 so far. They arrived in very bad shape, with 7 dead upon arrival. We've tried saving the other 6 with no luck. We're waiting on another cochin, but it's not looking good. The largest percentage loss is currently the bantam silkies and cochins. But I did lose 5 standard pullets. At least one was caught under an internal flap inside the cardboard shipper. The dead chicks were trampled flat. I sent them an email midday (I waited long enough to note our progress) but did not hear back from them yet. Tomorrow will tell. I can't say if I will choose to have them replaced. We've placed orders in the past from other hatcheries but this is a bad experience.
Sorry to hear that. :(. I had a few die from there too. I got them in Feb. of last year. One was smashed upon arrival cause they put a heating pad in the bottom and I guess they got hot. A couple died a few days later. One just wouldn't eat and the other looked like they checked to see if it was a boy or girl cause it's poor little butt was raw and it looked like it's insides were coming out. Poor little thing couldn't poo. Every time it tried, it's insides would start to come out. :hitIt was a barred rock too. We got only 2 of them and the other turned out to be a male. We named him Rocky, but we had to many roosters so we gave him up. The rest seemed to be o.k. Until a Mille Fluer just died for no reason one day. She/He was already in the coop by then. Though the next year when we got our catalog, the Mille Fluers were not available in the Old English. Wonder why

I ordered from Cackle Hatchery, received my order April 12. Within an hour & 1/2 the 1st chick died. Next morning another dead one. By Sunday evening 2 more had died. Monday morning another one had died. I called the Hatchery and spoke with Stephanie who asked lots of questions (I think she was new as I could hear someone telling her what to ask/say). I was told I didn't have enough wood shavings in the bottom of the new brooder box my husband had made me. Next to this box was a card board box with 4 Sapphire Gems chicks i had gotten from Cal Ranch and they were doing perfectly fine. Stephanie asked me to send a photo of the current chicks in their box, I also mentioned that I had sent an email in the wee hours (which she found) that included a photo of the dead chicks. Stephanie said I would either receive a refund or the chicks replaced. Never received a call or refund and at this point I didn't more chicks shipped. I mentioned to Stephanie that in 2017 I ordered 30 chicks, no problems, all lived. Poor customer service. Will never order from Cackle Hatchery again. I felt horrible every time a chick died and I did everything I could. I've been raising chicks for about 15 years.

I am a little worried now, I got the notification that mine were shipped from Cackle today. I want to make sure everything is as perfect as I can get it. Do they typically arrive next day? Like should I expect them tomorrow?

First, I'm really sorry to hear about the losses mentioned in this thread. It is very hard to watch and I deeply simpathize.

I thought I'd post an update. Of the 30 chicks we received, we lost 16. I had one conversation with a service rep who said to call back with a final live count after 48 hours had passed. I haven't been able to get through to customer service now in 3 business days. I should mention that I think there may have been two reasons we lost so many birds. First is the bad experience with the shipping. Second is that some of the birds showed strange signs of illness or defects. In particular, we had at least two bantams die after experiencing strange limb position, rapid breathing and neck twisting/bending. The chicks who have lived show no sign of any similar problems. (Knock on wood.)

I was told by the rep who talked to me that the temperature in my brooder was "way too hot" even though I followed the directions they provided. (My max temp directly under the lamp was 105 on the floor, as suggested, and there's at least 3 feet available to move away and cool off.) She told me that the written directions were dictated by the son of the owner, and that there has been internal conflict due to the disagreements over brooder temps. She even mentioned that the son's mother disagreed and badmouthed the son over it. She told to me to ignore the temps previously suggested and lower it. I told her I provided a brooder with ample space, and a cool zone away from the lamp. Chicks who appeared healthy were moving freely about the entire space.

If and when I resolve this with Cackle, I won't do business with them again. I don't care for the confusing and disrespectful communication, when they can even be reached.

I am a little worried now, I got the notification that mine were shipped from Cackle today. I want to make sure everything is as perfect as I can get it. Do they typically arrive next day? Like should I expect them tomorrow?
It depends how far you live from the hatchery. Being in Wisconsin, I believe I chose a hatchery too far away. (?) They are shipped priority with the USPS. Although I may have mentioned that I've purchased from Meyer twice in the past (a slightly shorter trip) and they took the same amount of time to reach us. I'm crossing my fingers that you have a healthy batch of chicks and that my experience is the exception to the rule.
Please let us know how everything goes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom