Cackle Hatchery reviews

First, I'm really sorry to hear about the losses mentioned in this thread. It is very hard to watch and I deeply simpathize.

I thought I'd post an update. Of the 30 chicks we received, we lost 16. I had one conversation with a service rep who said to call back with a final live count after 48 hours had passed. I haven't been able to get through to customer service now in 3 business days. I should mention that I think there may have been two reasons we lost so many birds. First is the bad experience with the shipping. Second is that some of the birds showed strange signs of illness or defects. In particular, we had at least two bantams die after experiencing strange limb position, rapid breathing and neck twisting/bending. The chicks who have lived show no sign of any similar problems. (Knock on wood.)

I was told by the rep who talked to me that the temperature in my brooder was "way too hot" even though I followed the directions they provided. (My max temp directly under the lamp was 105 on the floor, as suggested, and there's at least 3 feet available to move away and cool off.) She told me that the written directions were dictated by the son of the owner, and that there has been internal conflict due to the disagreements over brooder temps. She even mentioned that the son's mother disagreed and badmouthed the son over it. She told to me to ignore the temps previously suggested and lower it. I told her I provided a brooder with ample space, and a cool zone away from the lamp. Chicks who appeared healthy were moving freely about the entire space.

If and when I resolve this with Cackle, I won't do business with them again. I don't care for the confusing and disrespectful communication, when they can even be reached.
Good luck with Cackle. I thought loosing 5 chicks was bad, loosing 16 is just horrible!! I also was told my brooder was too hot, chicks also had plenty of room to run around. I feel there's something going on with Cackle Hatchery and it isn't good and we're getting the short end of the stick here. I might also mention that my 1st order from Cackle, I was living in California and it took 3 days to arrive. I now live in Idaho, the chicks were shipped Wed and were supposed to arrive Sat but showed up Fri morning.

Last edited:
I'm stressing a bit here because I got a notification that they arrived at the Springfield Distribution on the 22nd at 10 pm and then they arrived at the Kansas City, MO at 5 am on the 23rd and didn't leave until 8 pm that night. that's 15 hours at the KC postal distribution center. And I'm 15 hours from KC, MO, I don't know what I thought would happen, I guess I thought they'd be guaranteed 2-day or something. Poor things! I don't think I'll order from so far away again. Praying they'll be okay.

I wonder why your box sat so long at Kansas City? I went back and checked the tracking on my box and it sat in Kansas City also but only for a couple of hours. Fingers crossed your chicks are all ok .

20190425_124429.jpg
20190425_124612.jpg 20190425_124429.jpg I got them at 5am this morning. I ordered 30 they sent 36, 5 DOA and one died shortly after. Trying to make sure the others make it, most were good, but I don't know what any of them are. That's pretty exciting.

Okay, so Last I wrote I had received 36 chicks from Cackle, I ordered 30, one rare breed assortment and one rainbow assortment and they sent 6 extras. 5 DOA One died within the hour, by the next day, we had lost 10 altogether. 3 extras and 7 of the ones that I was supposed to have gotten. I contacted Cackle and told them that all of the Rainbow assortment were hale and hearty little chicks that were thriving but the rare breed assortment had used up all of their hydrogel and they had sat in shipping for a very long time. They were very nice about it and said it sounded like the chicks had sat in KC for too long, used all their fluids and arrived stressed. Then asked me if I wanted new birds or a refund, and I opted for new birds. They are supposed to ship May 1st. I will update their condition when I receive them. My remaining birds are doing very well.

Update: After three business days of calling, I got through to the hatchery at 8am sharp on a Tuesday morning almost week after delivery. The lady I spoke with was pleasant enough, but the conversation was your basic run-of-the-mill customer service representative type call. I was very surprised that no apology was offered. That should be standard policy when a customer has a loss, in any business. According to the representative, my refund request will be reviewed and I should receive a refund within one billing cycle (I used a debit/credit card). She wouldn't tell me how much was being refunded, just that the billing department would be contacted to begin the approval process. I'm happy for the people who have had success with Cackle. But they've lost my business. Especially when 16 of 30 birds died due to shipping or other hatchery ailments.

Okay, so Last I wrote I had received 36 chicks from Cackle, I ordered 30, one rare breed assortment and one rainbow assortment and they sent 6 extras. 5 DOA One died within the hour, by the next day, we had lost 10 altogether.
I'm really sorry to hear about the birds that died. It's a rotten feeling. But, I'm happy that the remaining birds are doing well. Our 14 survivors are doing quite well at two weeks after delivery.

WE ordered Rhode Islands from Cackle, 3 reds 3 whites. They came right on time and they threw in an extra red, which I'm assuming will be a rooster. At least I'm hoping it will be since I need to introduce a new blood line into our hens. I try to replace my roosters every 2 yrs, so the blood line never gets stale. We don't have the room to keep separate purebreds. So if we hatch they're always of a mix. I have duck coming from Cackle in the next couple of days. Very happy with the health of our bird and the quickness in shipping.

WE ordered Rhode Islands from Cackle, 3 reds 3 whites. They came right on time and they threw in an extra red, which I'm assuming will be a rooster. At least I'm hoping it will be since I need to introduce a new blood line into our hens. I try to replace my roosters every 2 yrs, so the blood line never gets stale. We don't have the room to keep separate purebreds. So if we hatch they're always of a mix. I have duck coming from Cackle in the next couple of days. Very happy with the health of our bird and the quickness in shipping.
Ed may I make a suggestion? and remember this is my opinion an it's like the part we sit on, we all have one, and it only means something to the one who has it. If you like the Rhode Island Breed why not order the hens of one color and the roos of the other? it might help blood lines fresh longer, or order the roos from one hatchery and any hens from another a few states away to make sure if they outsource their breeding stock your not running the same blood lines in your birds. Just a thought.

It's a good thought and I'll definitely keep it in mind when I have to order a rooster. I wasn't planning on a rooster this time just hen's, but when they sent an extra I'm going to assume it's a rooster only because in my case extras are always roosters but this time if it is I'm going to keep him. I like the idea of color, I wouldn't of thought of it.

Back
Top Bottom