Cackle Surprise Grow-a-long

buckock

Songster
Dec 10, 2021
Amelia, Virginia
After crashing into chickens and geeking out on spreadsheets, egg counts, incubators, and even chick genetics, I broke down and ordered a Cackle Surprise Box. Actually, I ordered a mini surprise box for July and then availability for a large surprise box popped up for May 25th. I called Cackle and switched the order to the 25th. They even volunteered to put a note for no waterfowl in my mini box. Yay! Then I started thinking about the availability for a large box... and thought well maybe I should have just done that since we have a large brooder space and the chicks would be old enough to sex before a big poultry swap in the fall. But... by the time I thought it through the large boxes had sold out. So... I just ordered a second mini on the website. No waterfowl exclusion on this one.

As the date rapidly approached I lurked on Cackle's page and searched a hundred reviews and comments. On the 23rd, Cackle was short turkeys and all the surprise boxes had chicks. Would I get lucky? Would I get a duck (or two?) in the mini that I hadn't asked for no waterfowl. Would there be a turkey?

On the morning of the 25th, Cackle posted a photo of Swedish ducks... man how I now wished that I hadn't asked for no waterfowl in that 1st box! The night of the 25th I received 1 notice of shipping. What??? Refusing to panic, I waited until the morning and checked the USPS Informed Delivery. Two order numbers. Whew! The 26th was a waiting day as I scanned FB to see who may have received their box early and what treasures it held.

Voila! 8:04AM on the 27th, the post office called with the background music of very loud chirping. The 6-minute drive flew by and my two little boxes were passed through the back door to get nestled on the seat next to me. Was that a whistle? Was there a turkey inside?? Opening the top, I rapidly scanned - no DOA, hurrah! And two little Swedish ducklings! And... was that a poult? A blue poult? AND a white poult? I opened the second box and to my satisfaction, all were alive and well. Another blue poult AND another white poult!

Back home and everyone is in the brooder only I forgot to get a count. The hatchery promises 18 poultry per box so I figured 36 would be a good estimate. Two days later I was finally able to get a head count. 56 birds including 50 chicks, 4 heritage turkey (Royal Palm and Blue Slate), and 2 ducklings. With one swoop I doubled the number of lives on the farm. Stay tuned for some identifying, swapping, and lessons of discovery!

CF8192CD-6DF1-46BD-A0BE-A47D08210910.jpeg
CF8192CD-6DF1-46BD-A0BE-A47D08210910.jpeg

So many little fuzzies! Overwhelmed a bit since we’re going to be out of town for 8 days, I’ve decided to reduce the flock. Criteria TBA for this Saturday’s farm swap. It’s probably going to be a rough cut for chicks with very fuzzy legs, top hats, and puffy cheeks. 😔. All very cute but will be better off finding a home elsewhere. Also (on a practical note) fewer little lives held in the hand of someone farm sitting.
B16024FE-4BCC-4D21-962A-4D7E0D144FDD.jpeg

So many little fuzzies! Overwhelmed a bit since we’re going to be out of town for 8 days, I’ve decided to reduce the flock. Criteria TBA for this Saturday’s farm swap. It’s probably going to be a rough cut for chicks with very fuzzy legs, top hats, and puffy cheeks. 😔. All very cute but will be better off finding a home elsewhere. Also (on a practical note) fewer little lives held in the hand of someone farm sitting.View attachment 3132973
Perhaps move along any that are duplicates? Like for example of it looks like 3 or 4 are the same color and breed, move 2 along?

Perhaps move along any that are duplicates? Like for example of it looks like 3 or 4 are the same color and breed, move 2 along?
First six have been moved along! Only 50 fuzzies left. To date, I've ID'd just over half of them (I think). I'm amazed by the crazy (and by crazy I mean excellent) selection.

So far... (for the chicks) we have:

2 black copper marans, 1 cukoo maran, 1 white Americauna, 2 Black Jersey Giant, 1 Black Sexlink, 1 Black Sumatra, 2 Buff Orpington, 1 Crested Cream Legbar/Olive Egger, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Egyptian Fayoumi, 1 French Black/Copper Maran, 1 French Cuckoo Maran, 2 Golden Laced Polish, 2 Salmon Faverolle, 1 Golden Laced/Partridge Cochin, 2 Jersey Giant 2 Jubilee Orpington, 1 red laced blue (or black) wyandotte, 1 Silver Laced Cochin, 1 White Cochin or Wheaten Maran, and 1 White Ameraucana

After crashing into chickens and geeking out on spreadsheets, egg counts, incubators, and even chick genetics, I broke down and ordered a Cackle Surprise Box. Actually, I ordered a mini surprise box for July and then availability for a large surprise box popped up for May 25th. I called Cackle and switched the order to the 25th. They even volunteered to put a note for no waterfowl in my mini box. Yay! Then I started thinking about the availability for a large box... and thought well maybe I should have just done that since we have a large brooder space and the chicks would be old enough to sex before a big poultry swap in the fall. But... by the time I thought it through the large boxes had sold out. So... I just ordered a second mini on the website. No waterfowl exclusion on this one.

As the date rapidly approached I lurked on Cackle's page and searched a hundred reviews and comments. On the 23rd, Cackle was short turkeys and all the surprise boxes had chicks. Would I get lucky? Would I get a duck (or two?) in the mini that I hadn't asked for no waterfowl. Would there be a turkey?

On the morning of the 25th, Cackle posted a photo of Swedish ducks... man how I now wished that I hadn't asked for no waterfowl in that 1st box! The night of the 25th I received 1 notice of shipping. What??? Refusing to panic, I waited until the morning and checked the USPS Informed Delivery. Two order numbers. Whew! The 26th was a waiting day as I scanned FB to see who may have received their box early and what treasures it held.

Voila! 8:04AM on the 27th, the post office called with the background music of very loud chirping. The 6-minute drive flew by and my two little boxes were passed through the back door to get nestled on the seat next to me. Was that a whistle? Was there a turkey inside?? Opening the top, I rapidly scanned - no DOA, hurrah! And two little Swedish ducklings! And... was that a poult? A blue poult? AND a white poult? I opened the second box and to my satisfaction, all were alive and well. Another blue poult AND another white poult!

Back home and everyone is in the brooder only I forgot to get a count. The hatchery promises 18 poultry per box so I figured 36 would be a good estimate. Two days later I was finally able to get a head count. 56 birds including 50 chicks, 4 heritage turkey (Royal Palm and Blue Slate), and 2 ducklings. With one swoop I doubled the number of lives on the farm. Stay tuned for some identifying, swapping, and lessons of discovery!
So excited for you and I felt your excitement while reading this. 😁

I love your enthusiastic writing style and account of your new babies! :love

Back
Top Bottom