Calico Cochin Thread

Here are my two chicks hatched last week, that I hope will be calico.

I have 4 hens with this rooster, who I was told is calico?

The four hens are Mottled (pictured above) and two blue and this calico (pictured here when she was younger)

Here are my two chicks hatched last week, that I hope will be calico. I have 4 hens with this rooster, who I was told is calico? The four hens are Mottled (pictured above) and two blue and this calico (pictured here when she was younger)
Love the pics. He looks more red to me than calico? Im still learning genetics & colors. I almost got a red roo today, a little darker than that one, to put with the mottled cochins chicks lm getting this week but hes 6mths & i already have too many roos lol. I have a buff roo i guess i will be pairing with them.

I am really hoping that 1 of these is a girl. I am pretty sure that Cootie, the mostly black and white one is a Cockerel, but I was hoping Tweety would be a pullet. Cootie's comb reddened up faster, but now both combs look pretty good size. They are about 8 weeks in age.

Ok, I hatched out eggs from multiple sources and was wondering if there is anyone truly working towards a standard color for the calicos? I now have some calicos that started out partridge looking and are progressively getting more white, I have whiter ones with almost buff colored patches and black ticking. I also have Redder ones that have black and white mixed in. As well as some that are mottled, but not black mottled more like buff and brown. I am just wondering if there is someone actually working on a standard or if it's a free for all colorwise. Also a little informal poll to which people prefer. I will try to post some pics this week to show the differences

Last edited:
Here is my last attempt (this year) at getting a nice quality calico I hatched 12 and kept these 4. I have 4 possible momma hens, a calico, a blue, a mottled and a blue barred. This is what I got...

I do think they are all females but would love other opinions on this! showing younger photos with shots I took yesterday

This one I have no idea what color I am going to end up with.

I kept a blue

these two are the closest to calico...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom