Calico Cochin Thread

I have a question for all of you! I have a bantam mottled cochin hen and a bantam mille fleur d'uccle, and I'm thinking about letting the hen set on some eggs some time in the future. Do you guys have any guesses as to what the babies might look like? I'm not sure about the genetics, but I thought that they might be sort of calico-esque in nature. Maybe not quite so poofy, though I'd love to see a chicken with the poofy butt of a cochin and the beard/cheekpoofs of my roo
big_smile.png

I have a question for all of you! I have a bantam mottled cochin hen and a bantam mille fleur d'uccle, and I'm thinking about letting the hen set on some eggs some time in the future. Do you guys have any guesses as to what the babies might look like? I'm not sure about the genetics, but I thought that they might be sort of calico-esque in nature. Maybe not quite so poofy, though I'd love to see a chicken with the poofy butt of a cochin and the beard/cheekpoofs of my roo :D

The chicks will look like a heavier duccle and wont really look cochin at all. Did it yrs ago.

Here my boy, Mr Martin.
He's 9 months old.
I am still very, very new to understanding the breeding process, but I desperately want to mind him a girly or 2 to breed. But I have no idea where to start!!!

he's gorgeous!

Thank you!!
I'm still trying to even figure out what even classifies him as a calico
1f615.png
I've tried looking at a million sites and breeders I found and it's all so muddled in my brain. Hopefully someone along the way can help me.
He's such a pretty boy though, just spectacular!

he's gorgeous!

Thank you!!
I'm still trying to even figure out what even classifies him as a calico
1f615.png
I've tried looking at a million sites and breeders I found and it's all so muddled in my brain. Hopefully someone along the way can help me.
He's such a pretty boy though, just spectacular!

Well don't quote me cuz I stink at it haha but calico usually means tri colored. Different breeders and breeds use different verbiage though sometimes and that's what gets me muddled. I have several confetti cochin, amazing! And was so upset to lose my most recent who quickly became my first house chicken ever. The confetti's are also calico but it is the way the color looks "sprinkled" on them like they just attended some great party. This was my little January, she got sick very quickly and in spite of vet, home iv fluids and scoping food died really fast. I was told they just are really fragile with such low body weight. I'll do it again though but don't know about another cochin (I have 6 still, one of my boys Kevin is so sweet and my user picture) or a silkie so I know she'll want to be a clingy lap chicken lol.

Well don't quote me cuz I stink at it haha but calico usually means tri colored. Different breeders and breeds use different verbiage though sometimes and that's what gets me muddled. I have several confetti cochin, amazing! And was so upset to lose my most recent who quickly became my first house chicken ever. The confetti's are also calico but it is the way the color looks "sprinkled" on them like they just attended some great party. This was my little January, she got sick very quickly and in spite of vet, home iv fluids and scoping food died really fast. I was told they just are really fragile with such low body weight. I'll do it again though but don't know about another cochin (I have 6 still, one of my boys Kevin is so sweet and my user picture) or a silkie so I know she'll want to be a clingy lap chicken lol.

Aren't all Mille tri-colored though? Maybe not. I'm just as lost as ever ha!
1f602.png
1f626.png
I have 4 silkies, two black and two white. I also keep polish crested, but lost one from my white crested black a few weeks ago :( My other pair are silver laced. I also keep a couple. silver laced Wyandotte hens, 4 golden comet hens, 6 EE hens, and have one black orp and one buff orp gal left. We had a raptor falcon take out quite a few of our birds over winter despite our best efforts. The downside of free ranging in the country :( I have 2 light brahma girls as well, they are so beautiful. I have a pretty mixed flock. Oh! I do have a couple white leg horns and a couple Brown leg horns as well, and 2 new Hampshire reds. That's probably it! Haha. I do have some bantam babies in my broader but I doubt I'll keep them. We are building another coop to accommodate 40 or so but they keep me busy as it is!

Back to the coloring.... this mille is 3 colors, but not a calico. Perhaps it's the white in the feathers on my boy? Who knows. It will become clear eventually!

[/quote]

Aren't all Mille tri-colored though? Maybe not. I'm just as lost as ever ha!
1f602.png
1f626.png
I have 4 silkies, two black and two white. I also keep polish crested, but lost one from my white crested black a few weeks ago :( My other pair are silver laced. I also keep a couple. silver laced Wyandotte hens, 4 golden comet hens, 6 EE hens, and have one black orp and one buff orp gal left. We had a raptor falcon take out quite a few of our birds over winter despite our best efforts. The downside of free ranging in the country :( I have 2 light brahma girls as well, they are so beautiful. I have a pretty mixed flock. Oh! I do have a couple white leg horns and a couple Brown leg horns as well, and 2 new Hampshire reds. That's probably it! Haha. I do have some bantam babies in my broader but I doubt I'll keep them. We are building another coop to accommodate 40 or so but they keep me busy as it is!

Back to the coloring.... this mille is 3 colors, but not a calico. Perhaps it's the white in the feathers on my boy? Who knows. It will become clear eventually!
[/quote]

I just think he's amazing. Well, this is my understanding, hopefully someone smarter will chime in
263a.png

Mille Fleur is literally translated "thousand flowers". They are a different breed than the calico and are true bantams. They typically have a base feathering of deep brown, with each feather containing a black crescent pattern with a silver tips. There's also the less common blue Mille Fleur, which has a gray base instead of deep brown. After the chickens' initial molt is when their true coloring comes in. I have confetti's that were mostly rust base but after the first molt are mostly white with the splashes of rust and black.

You have such a lovely variety! I'm envious. I am interested in silks again (we got 5 babies a few years back and ended up with 4 boys and a girl who had wry neck, since in town at the time all the boys had to go sniff sniff but made great 4h and head of household birds for others) and we have never had polish but I would love to. We have 1 Buff Orp rooster, and 2 fizzle bantams father and son, 4 confetti cochin, 1 Orpington Austral or cross best layer ever, 3 Jersey giants, and single giant Cochin, Australorp, Barred Rock, and Americauna.

Sorry about the falcon loss. I'm torn, I understand it but don't like it. We lost several to a bobcat winter before last.

Last edited:
So I'm wanting to make some calico cochin bantams myself. I'm starting with hatchery grade so I'm sure there will be a lot of improving to be done....Is calico possible without columbian?

I'm getting 25 straight run mottled cochin bantams. I already have a pair of buff cochin bantams and a few black frizzle cochin bantams(I will want to eventually get some frizzle in the mix). I also have a trio of nice quality cochin bantams but they are blue.

Any suggestions on some pairings? I could set up a few different pens.

Back
Top Bottom