Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
When breeding for the Calico look vs the MF look...it would NOT be more beneficial to keep the roo with the most white leak?? Or is it because his type isn't that great?
Here he is in a bigger pic.
personally I would say choose type over color. the genetics between calico and mille are the same, it's just the expression of color that may vary. so pick your best typed birds and run with it.

I have a question on type. On the Heritage Large Fowl thread they state that type usually comes from the hen, so has anyone used a less than typey rooster over a really nice hen? I wonder what the chicks would look like? Would most of them have good type from the hen? Just curious.

I have a question on type. On the Heritage Large Fowl thread they state that type usually comes from the hen, so has anyone used a less than typey rooster over a really nice hen? I wonder what the chicks would look like? Would most of them have good type from the hen? Just curious.
for some heritage breeds, that may be true... but it's going to vary by breed too.

I had one roo that had stiffer tail feathers, making a peak on his cushion, he passed that along to nearly every chick I hatched out, even tho the hens were nice. he's gone, better roos remain.

It doesn't seem to work this way in bantam Cochins. For one thing, a typy hen is going to be very short bodied with less potential to lay eggs well. A typy rooster seems to have no problems getting his job done though.
My typy hens do throw awesome babies when I can get eggs from them but I always, always have as good, if not better, rooster with her. My roos are super important and when I have tried to breed for color/pattern in MF over type I get a lot of junk. Type is my motto for roosters! I can deal with less typy hens as they lay enough eggs that I can cull out the worst of the babies hatched but most often my roosters help balance less than ideal hens.

Hi all, this is the pair I have to work with. In my opinion they are not of very good type. I like the color and would also like to incorp. Blue. Should I split them up? Or would the blue add some sort of undesirable black?

Hi all, this is the pair I have to work with. In my opinion they are not of very good type. I like the color and would also like to incorp. Blue. Should I split them up? Or would the blue add some sort of undesirable black?
They are so cute! I love the coloring in both of them! I can't tell type from the way they are standing....that and I am pretty new to this breed. Do you know how old they are?

Back
Top Bottom