Calif. N.Central Valley/Foothills

I'm located in Three Rivers CA, Tulare County just east of Visalia in the foothills of the Sierras. I guess that's a bit south of the northern Central Valley, LOL but I thought I'd say hi anyway.

Hello and welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

This thread is a bit slow - come on over to the Nor Cal thread which stretches from Oregon down to below Modesto - and I like to say Nor Cal is a State of Mind not a Location
wink.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/25/california-northern/34170#post_12362870

I am above Jackson in the Gold Country. I have Silkies and a bunch of birds I hatched out and bought from people on BYC - be careful of Chicken Math...

You will meet all sorts of people around you, and there are a lot of people on that thread with some amazing birds - ones you can't find anywhere - they have them!

I'm going to get some Silkies. I can hardly wait. I want them to be broody mamas for some more chickens I want to get. I really like the Polish chickens too. Also thinking of raising quail again. I used to raise them as a kid- the Coturnix variety. I'm talkin'- teen age city gal with no prior experience goes out and buys an incubator and instruction book and a lot of quail eggs, LOL. I did well. Never lost a chick. Not bad for being totally ignorant. I was into science anyway, so I incorporated my "hobby" as a science project on imprinting. Won first prize at the school!

So, I've now been married for 28 years and for nearly all those years I've pleaded and begged my hubby to let me have chickens. The answer was always an adamant NO. So, I just added that to my bucket list. Well, since I bought a second home in Three Rivers (gateway to the Sequoias/Kings Canyon) in the hamlet of Three Rivers, and have a 3 acre parcel on the South Fork of the Kaweah River (our house overlooks the river)- I put my foot down and said, "I'm getting chickens!" He could not say no to me anymore. Plus, the fact that I had to have spinal surgery earlier this year probably made him a bit more tolerant of my eccentricities. Honestly, I think he's actually afraid of them, LOL.

I have 8 Buckeye hens. They lay like crazy. Then again, they are spoiled rotten. They were purchased for me by a friend who knew a chicken farmer. Those birds were quite wild at first, but within two weeks I had those hens eating out of my hand and now all of them let me pick them up for a cuddle. I've had parrots for years, so birds are nothing new to me. I love my hens. They were in a livestock situation and now they are in a large run/coop and get treats and love and attention. My friends here are amazed how I managed to tame them.

I'm going to get some Silkies. I can hardly wait. I want them to be broody mamas for some more chickens I want to get. I really like the Polish chickens too. Also thinking of raising quail again. I used to raise them as a kid- the Coturnix variety. I'm talkin'- teen age city gal with no prior experience goes out and buys an incubator and instruction book and a lot of quail eggs, LOL. I did well. Never lost a chick. Not bad for being totally ignorant. I was into science anyway, so I incorporated my "hobby" as a science project on imprinting. Won first prize at the school!

So, I've now been married for 28 years and for nearly all those years I've pleaded and begged my hubby to let me have chickens. The answer was always an adamant NO. So, I just added that to my bucket list. Well, since I bought a second home in Three Rivers (gateway to the Sequoias/Kings Canyon) in the hamlet of Three Rivers, and have a 3 acre parcel on the South Fork of the Kaweah River (our house overlooks the river)- I put my foot down and said, "I'm getting chickens!" He could not say no to me anymore. Plus, the fact that I had to have spinal surgery earlier this year probably made him a bit more tolerant of my eccentricities. Honestly, I think he's actually afraid of them, LOL.

I have 8 Buckeye hens. They lay like crazy. Then again, they are spoiled rotten. They were purchased for me by a friend who knew a chicken farmer. Those birds were quite wild at first, but within two weeks I had those hens eating out of my hand and now all of them let me pick them up for a cuddle. I've had parrots for years, so birds are nothing new to me. I love my hens. They were in a livestock situation and now they are in a large run/coop and get treats and love and attention. My friends here are amazed how I managed to tame them.

I am glad you finally got your chickens - 28 years is a long time to wait for fresh eggs!

I love my Silkies as broodies - but be careful what you wish for. Of my girls here, one girl is on her third set, the other on her second and I have another one who is going wanna-be broody right now. I don't hatch in the winter - but I guess THEY do!

Chiqita on the NorCal thread has Cots - She is working on getting some eggs to somebody for the new year's hatch along.

My birds were brooded by me (mostly) and will hover for treats - etc. Its when they get older the boys get a bit skittish - but I prefer that to being attacked by them. Do you have any boys? If your husband doesn't like chickens he probably definitely won't like a rooster... alarm clocks with no snooze button!

Last edited:
No, no roosters, LOL. Yeah, hubby would not appreciate the crowing. I am considering a Silkie rooster though... gotta give it a bit more thought. I've got the "bug"- I hope to have several more chickens in my near future.

My gals are great. They are inquisitive and gentle in general and they love their treats. I think they are more keen on the treats than of me, LOL. It's okay though. At least they don't mind being handled and cuddled. I take pride in the fact that these birds were from a chicken farm and quite wild at first. Now, they eat out of my hand and whenever they hear my voice or see me in the yard, they all gather at their gate and stare out at me hoping I'd come in to give them some treats.

No, no roosters, LOL. Yeah, hubby would not appreciate the crowing. I am considering a Silkie rooster though... gotta give it a bit more thought. I've got the "bug"- I hope to have several more chickens in my near future.

My gals are great. They are inquisitive and gentle in general and they love their treats. I think they are more keen on the treats than of me, LOL. It's okay though. At least they don't mind being handled and cuddled. I take pride in the fact that these birds were from a chicken farm and quite wild at first. Now, they eat out of my hand and whenever they hear my voice or see me in the yard, they all gather at their gate and stare out at me hoping I'd come in to give them some treats.

Yup, the way to a chicken's brain is through their stomach.

I have a nice un-bearded Silky boy who needs a home - after you give it more thought. His crow isn't real loud - sort of fuzzy. He is third down on the totem pole and I have only heard him crow maybe twice. I call him Donna-Don because I was un-sure as to whether he was male or female for a long time...

He would be called Blue Partridge with a Moorscap (dark head). He is a good boy though, no people aggression and so handsome!

Are you going to come up/over for the Stockton Show in January? If you don't know about it there is a really big annual show at the Stockton Fairgrounds. We could call it "Chickenstock" for Nor Cal. My first year was last year and I picked up 4 Swedish Flower Hens (2 boys 2 girls), 2 Marans and my Silkie Roo that is the father of Donna-Don and quite a few more chicks...

What a beautiful rooster! I will give it some serious thought. I still have yet to get my second coop/run built. Also, I may be facing more surgery for tendonitis. Man, it sucks getting old, LOL. I finally got a brooder set up thanks to Mr. UPS today- but I'm going to have to wait to see whats in store for me. I'm an artist and I sculpt, although I haven't been able to sculpt in a while because of my tendonitis in my right thumb. At least I can go out and spoil my chickens ;-) I was planning on getting some chicks to raise, but that's all uncertain right now. Once my second coop/run is built, I can make a few more plans- but I'll also have to see what my doc says. If I have to have surgery, I'm going to have to put things on hold for a bit.

I didn't know about "chicken-stock" lol. It's not too far a drive from where I am to Stockton. I'll have to get more info on that. I'm still a newbie when it comes to chickens but I've got a ton of books and this forum to learn more before I dive in full force to enlarge my flock. I like to research before acquiring animals. Everything I've read about Silkies makes me want them badly. I also really love those Polish chickens- they look like Phyllis Diller! Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on that- sounds like an ideal place to acquire chickens of every sort.

--Mollie

What a beautiful rooster! I will give it some serious thought. I still have yet to get my second coop/run built. Also, I may be facing more surgery for tendonitis. Man, it sucks getting old, LOL. I finally got a brooder set up thanks to Mr. UPS today- but I'm going to have to wait to see whats in store for me. I'm an artist and I sculpt, although I haven't been able to sculpt in a while because of my tendonitis in my right thumb. At least I can go out and spoil my chickens ;-) I was planning on getting some chicks to raise, but that's all uncertain right now. Once my second coop/run is built, I can make a few more plans- but I'll also have to see what my doc says. If I have to have surgery, I'm going to have to put things on hold for a bit.

I didn't know about "chicken-stock" lol. It's not too far a drive from where I am to Stockton. I'll have to get more info on that. I'm still a newbie when it comes to chickens but I've got a ton of books and this forum to learn more before I dive in full force to enlarge my flock. I like to research before acquiring animals. Everything I've read about Silkies makes me want them badly. I also really love those Polish chickens- they look like Phyllis Diller! Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on that- sounds like an ideal place to acquire chickens of every sort.

--Mollie

I also have 4 undetermined sex Silkie chicks that are 6 weeks old right now, two blue, a black and a Partridge. They are old enough they don't need a brooder - but still young enough to train. They are running around with the older Silkies and a few misc bantams now, mommie is in brooding another set of eggs
roll.png

If you research Polish you may change your mind about getting them. They are dorky birds and can't see because of their head floofs - it makes them flighty and skittish. I have a Mottled Houdan girl, I lost the boy to unknown cause at about 3 months old. I only keep her for comic relief (she is sillier than the Silkies sometimes) but I wouldn't get another one.

I hope all goes well with getting rid of that tendonitis - being unable to do what you love is the pits...

Last edited:
It's become cold and wet up here. My Buckeyes fare well in the cold. It can get to 32 or lower this time of year. It is very tempting for me to think about buying some Silkies from you. I've been looking around online and have gone through the hatchery threads and now I"m a bit wary of buying online and having birds shipped. Plus, I only want a couple of hens and a roo. I have a large studio where I can set up an indoor cage for the winter. I'll PM you once I run this by the hubby ;-) LOL

--Mollie

I also have 4 undetermined sex Silkie chicks that are 6 weeks old right now, two blue, a black and a Partridge.  They are old enough they don't need a brooder - but still young enough to train.  They are running around with the older Silkies and a few misc bantams now, mommie is in brooding another set of eggs :rolleyes:

If you research Polish you may change your mind about getting them.  They are dorky birds and can't see because of their head floofs - it makes them flighty and skittish.  I have a Mottled Houdan girl, I lost the boy to unknown cause at about 3 months old.  I only keep her for comic relief (she is sillier than the Silkies sometimes) but I wouldn't get another one.

I hope all goes well with getting rid of that tendonitis - being unable to do what you love is the pits...

I am in Lodi Ca. Have 7 Bard Rocks ,great layers,but trying to get them to get along at the beginning is a chore. Even the mom wants to fight the kids. Rodney the rooster steps in between then most of the time any ideas.? I have had ti separate one hen because they are picking her feathers off her back do not know what else to do. Coop

Back
Top Bottom