Calif. N.Central Valley/Foothills

I'm in Lemoore :)
frow.gif

I need help. There is this goose at my local park, we think its male, around 15 years old, the past 5 days its had some of its anus hanging out. We have zero experience treating geese and are afraid of doing more harm than good. Do we have a local vet in the San Jose area thats willing to work on this guy inexpensively? Maybe just an exam/consultation to determine best course of action. Anyone in the area with avian experience willing to swing by and take a look? The past few months he's had difficulty walking, thought it was arthritis, just got worse suddenly. He's a real fighter and wants to live, has that spirit, but at this point I can't let him suffer. Would putting him down, next day or two, be the best course of action?

The first two days I saw an inch to an inch and a half corkscrew piece of flesh sticking out of his(gender?) bottom. Now it looks like a quarter size piece of intestine pushing out his/her bottom, followed by the corkscrew. The local wildlife shelter couldn't be bothered! Literally!
He is pooping OK. I'm feeding him romaine lettuce, lots of fresh water and a little bird seed. The poop is very runny.
Physically, he looks like he has arthritis. Trouble standing, legs prostrate out behind him while sitting. But he's not that old, never seen this before.
Trying to keep it clean

Since everyone has their own perspective of california boundary lines. What is your definition of N. Central Valley. I always thought it was Bakersfield north maybe up to Modesto. Pretty much the nice valley bowl surrounded by foothills and mountains.
Southern California is south of the grape vine to border. North above Modesto to border. Coast coastal anything within about an hour drive from the ocean.

Last edited:
Since everyone has their own perspective of california boundary lines. What is your definition of N. Central Valley. I always thought it was Bakersfield north maybe up to Modesto. Pretty much the nice valley bowl surrounded by foothills and mountains.
Southern California is south of the grape vine to border. North above Modesto to border. Coast coastal anything within about an hour drive from the ocean.
I don't really give it much thought. I consider myself here in Turlock as Central Valley but visit, California the whole state, Northern California, Bay Area & Central Foothills. I pretty much watch all in a drivable distance. I have met alot of nice people & nice birds doing this.

I'm new to this site. I'm looking for a breeder (not a hatchery) in my area that sells silkies or fizzles or some other fun breed. I am interested in a hen that is laying, though. Or any other breed of hen that is laying and is NICE. My daughter likes to hold our chickens and we are having to get rid of one silkie hen that is oddly pissy and pecks us hard. I am new so I am not sure where to post this to get some info about local breeders or local farms that have available hens for sale (tame hens)

Not sure where you are. I'm in Placerville. The below site is where I buy my chickens, they are raised on their farm, free range. They sell baby chicks and 12-18 week or older hens. We've bought several and they are very healthy and nice birds. You can view them at his retail shop in Placerville. The owner, James, if you call him he can probably get you what you want. He does have older hens also.

http://www.thepoultrypalace.com/

Hope that helps.

That place looks amazing, but it is over 2 hours away. I'm in Newman ca. I actually might be going that way, though, in October to go to apple hill. I could pick a hen up if he has one!

Back
Top Bottom