California Greys???

Question...

Does anyone here sell fertile pure hatching eggs for this breed? I'm curious...

Thanks
I found this on line http://www.cedarcreekhatchery.com/California-Gray-1050.htm?productId=54 their information is flawed re. what a CG is but maybe they still are a good egg source. I did a little bit of digging and found this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...t/784635/cedar-creek-hatchery-in-twin-lake-mi so you may want to take what it says into account.

I found this on line http://www.cedarcreekhatchery.com/California-Gray-1050.htm?productId=54 their information is flawed re. what a CG is but maybe they still are a good egg source. I did a little bit of digging and found this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...t/784635/cedar-creek-hatchery-in-twin-lake-mi so you may want to take what it says into account.

You are right that the first website is wrong about California Grays. They state, "The California Grey is a cross of several different Leghorn breeds."

The California Gray breed was created using Barred Plymouth Rock and White Leghorn.

So this does not seem like a place to buy California Gray eggs.

You are right that the first website is wrong about California Grays. They state, "The California Grey is a cross of several different Leghorn breeds."

The California Gray breed was created using Barred Plymouth Rock and White Leghorn.

So this does not seem like a place to buy California Gray eggs.
Absolutely agree that it doesn't look good for them as an egg source however it is true that sometimes people have valuable things when they don't know what the have. Ignorance is not necessarily indicative of the quality of their birds or their eggs. I was more concerned about the poor reviews. It is a shame though. I wish we didn't have to go through a hatchery to get what we want but since there are so few breeders it makes it nearly unavoidable.

Is there any interest in forming a CA Grey Club loosely organized so that we can perhaps fill one another's needs for chicks and or eggs while promoting the breed?

@Michael Apple
@free burd
@PineTopFarm
@Melabella
@farmhand
@Geneticsnut
@digitS'
@oldtimeway
@Chickluver2012
@ClintD

Last edited:
There are few Calif. Greys out there. Privett has the best and only pure line that I am aware of, it being of both Welp and Colonial strains. Some others claiming to have them are simply crossing barred rocks with leghorns and selling you a hybrid bird that will not grow true. I would be curious as to how many private flocks of true Cal. Greys are around.

There are few Calif. Greys out there. Privett has the best and only pure line that I am aware of, it being of both Welp and Colonial strains. Some others claiming to have them are simply crossing barred rocks with leghorns and selling you a hybrid bird that will not grow true. I would be curious as to how many private flocks of true Cal. Greys are around.

I would be as welll Mine is from Privett but I would very much like to be able to get more true CA Greys w/o going through a hatchery at all do you raise them?

Absolutely agree that it doesn't look good for them as an egg source however it is true that sometimes people have valuable things when they don't know what the have.   Ignorance is not necessarily indicative of the quality of their birds or their eggs.  I was more concerned about the poor reviews.   It is a shame though.  I wish we didn't have to go through a hatchery to get what we want but since there are so few breeders it makes it nearly unavoidable.

Is there any interest in forming a CA Grey Club loosely organized so that we can perhaps fill one another's needs for chicks and or eggs while promoting the breed?  

@Michael Apple

@free burd

@PineTopFarm

@Melabella

@farmhand

@Geneticsnut

@digitS'

@oldtimeway

@Chickluver2012

@ClintD
Is there a written standard for CGs? I'd support a club but even within a club it's hard to promote a breed if we aren't all breeding toward the same goal.

Is there a written standard for CGs? I'd support a club but even within a club it's hard to promote a breed if we aren't all breeding toward the same goal.
I believe there is no written standard. From what I have read, the Drydens were interested in the creation of a dual purpose white egg layer and not so much the physical aesthetics of the bird. Things like feather pattern and comb structure and placement that are immaterial in terms of the function of the breed were not factored into their breeding plan.

I assume that feed conversion, and meat and egg production were.

Because they aren't on APA radar they really never took off in a big way other than as the male half of the CA White hybrid. That is exactly the reason they NEED promotion IMO.

The goal I currently have is to create a place where people who have CA Greys, birds and hatching eggs, can be listed. A lot of us would like to aviod hatcheries and other people refuse to use them. In the last year I have encouraged multiple people to give them a try and had them sold on the breed but they could not find what they considered a suitable source and so they didn't get them.

So here is a shout out to all tagged people. If you have a CA Grey flock that you KNOW comes from the Dryden lines please tell us. Privett hatchery in NM has their line so if you ordered from them originally you got Dryden birds.

Thanks!

I believe there is no written standard. From what I have read, the Drydens were interested in the creation of a dual purpose white egg layer and not so much the physical aesthetics of the bird. Things like feather pattern and comb structure and placement that are immaterial in terms of the function of the breed were not factored into their breeding plan.

I assume that feed conversion, and meat and egg production were.

Because they aren't on APA radar they really never took off in a big way other than as the male half of the CA White hybrid. That is exactly the reason they NEED promotion IMO.

The goal I currently have is to create a place where people who have CA Greys, birds and hatching eggs, can be listed. A lot of us would like to aviod hatcheries and other people refuse to use them. In the last year I have encouraged multiple people to give them a try and had them sold on the breed but they could not find what they considered a suitable source and so they didn't get them.

So here is a shout out to all tagged people. If you have a CA Grey flock that you KNOW comes from the Dryden lines please tell us. Privett hatchery in NM has their line so if you ordered from them originally you got Dryden birds.

Thanks!

If I indeed purchase next spring, ,I would be more than happy to join in on a group, and certainly contribute any help I could. This breed appealed to me because I am in search of some white egg layers, that would be a good flock bird, not flighty, and of course, give me lots of white eggs! I have decided to order from Privett next spring, and have put myself on an alert list. I think I saw that Stombergs also carries them, but they give no information as to where their stock is from.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mYDwCw&usg=AFQjCNFplj0stUK51JhHO-EKuRTzSQuH3Q

MB

Thank you! I truly believe you will be happy with them if you decide to get them. I have heard that Strombergs gets theirs from Privett but I haven't verified that.

I ordered 25 chicks from Privett last summer and divided them up between 3 local folks. All 3 of us for various reasons did not keep a roster so I'm not a good source of hatching eggs.
idunno.gif
However for anyone interested in the breed, I am very impressed with the breed if your looking for very good egg production from a smaller bird. In addition they are calm and curious and fit in well with other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom