New Zealand or California rabbit?

Jolenes mom

Chirping
Dec 12, 2023
CA57D94B-EFDD-447D-AABB-034A426176EC.png
I picked up a white New Zealand doe from a person and he brought other rabbits he had for sell as well and I was told they where all white New Zealand’s. At the time I didn’t know that a California rabbit was a thing but now that I know what it is I’m starting to think she maybe a California. What do y’all think?

Ok. I just wasn’t sure Bc she has the black ears and nose like a California. She just doesn’t look like my other white New Zealand’s!
Oh well like I said I'm not very experienced🤷‍♀️. It sounds like you got this😁. He or she is super cute❤

View attachment 3768387I picked up a white New Zealand doe from a person and he brought other rabbits he had for sell as well and I was told they where all white New Zealand’s. At the time I didn’t know that a California rabbit was a thing but now that I know what it is I’m starting to think she maybe a California. What do y’all think?
She might be a Californian, or she might be a mix.

A mix of Californian with New Zealand White will give rabbits that have the dark nose/ears/feet/tail, but not as dark as a pure Californian. Since those points are light on bunnies anyway, and darken with age, I really can't tell for sure which one you have (pure Californian or mix.)

If you want to raise rabbits for meat, both breeds are good and so are the mixes, so it's not a big deal either way (but do watch out if you buy from that person again, because that is definitely not a pure New Zealand White.)

If you are trying to raise show rabbits, or purebred rabbits for any other reason, then of course it is important to know what breed you have, and being sold the wrong breed is a real problem.

She might be a Californian, or she might be a mix.

A mix of Californian with New Zealand White will give rabbits that have the dark nose/ears/feet/tail, but not as dark as a pure Californian. Since those points are light on bunnies anyway, and darken with age, I really can't tell for sure which one you have (pure Californian or mix.)
This !

Looks like a mix to me. You'll know when she reaches maturity. if her nose and paws and ears don't darken up all the way she is most likely a mix. We used to breed nz does to Cali bucks for meat, they are a vigorous and healthy crossbreed for that purpose. They usually look like this.

Back
Top Bottom