New Zealand or California rabbit?

Looks like a mix to me. You'll know when she reaches maturity. if her nose and paws and ears don't darken up all the way she is most likely a mix. We used to breed nz does to Cali bucks for meat, they are a vigorous and healthy crossbreed for that purpose. They usually look like this.
I was thinking she might be a mix, thanks! I got rabbits to raise for meat so maybe she’ll help me out whenever she’s old enough to have babies!

She might be a Californian, or she might be a mix.

A mix of Californian with New Zealand White will give rabbits that have the dark nose/ears/feet/tail, but not as dark as a pure Californian. Since those points are light on bunnies anyway, and darken with age, I really can't tell for sure which one you have (pure Californian or mix.)

If you want to raise rabbits for meat, both breeds are good and so are the mixes, so it's not a big deal either way (but do watch out if you buy from that person again, because that is definitely not a pure New Zealand White.)

If you are trying to raise show rabbits, or purebred rabbits for any other reason, then of course it is important to know what breed you have, and being sold the wrong breed is a real problem.
Thanks for the reply! I am raising rabbits for meat so it’s not to big of a deal, I just didn’t know any better at the time. I am still learning about New Zealand’s ( I have raised only lion heads up to this point )

I think it's safe to say you have a mix. I breed Californians and usually this time of year they have very dark markings, even as babies, and unless that photo was taken during the warmer months she looks pretty light to be pure Californian.
They're both good meat rabbits tho, I'm sure she'll be a good vigorous cross for you👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom